timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Politics Aside: Good News Not Enough People Are Talking About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

There are so many things going on in the world right now. In such a politically heated time, most news coverage is of the White House, and many of us are left wondering: what else is going on? Surely there is something good happening somewhere … right?

Let’s take a breather from the Trump Administration, and consider some more positive news.

As of September 2016, the giant panda is no longer on the endangered species list.

Yes, the giant panda has moved from “endangered” status to “vulnerable” status, and while this may not seem like a huge difference, it has great significance in showing how an integrated approach can help save biodiversity. The giant panda is the most used symbol for conservation as well as the logo for the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF). What better way to celebrate the importance of this organization than to have its mascot at less risk! There are still ways to go for the giant panda, and many other species are still in grave danger, but this is a step in the right direction. WWF Director General Marco Lambertini says, “With science, political will, and the engagement of communities, we can save wildlife and also improve biodiversity.”

Professional tennis player Serena Williams wins Australian Open and takes No. 1 WTA ranking once again — all while pregnant!

Serena Williams, an incredible athlete, has just proved that you really can have it all. The 35-year-old not only landed her 23rd grand slam, but earned the No. 1 WTA spot after gracefully beating her sister, Venus. To top it all off, she did all of this while pregnant! Williams and her fiancée, Alexis Ohanian, the co-founder of Reddit, are expecting in September. Williams also responded to racist comments about her unborn child from Fed Cup captain Ilie Nastaste. She wrote to the general public: “Yes, we have broken down so many barriers — however there are a plethora more to go. This or anything else will not stop me from pouring love, light and positivity into everything I do. I will continue to take the lead and stand up for what’s right.” Williams’ performance is remarkable — not only on the tennis court, but in the battle she continues to fight over her race and gender. She is a true No. 1 across the board.

The first woman to officially run in the Boston Marathon does it again … 50 years later.

Seventy-year-old Katherine Switzer completed the 2017 Boston Marathon in 4 hours 44 minutes and 31 seconds, 50 years after being attacked by a race official in the 1967 race for being a woman. Sadly, there was a time not long ago when women were discouraged from running in marathons because “long distance was bad for their health.” Switzer prevailed, however, and completed that race despite the men trying to rip off her bib, reading the number 261. Sure enough, on April 17, 2017 she wore the same number. That’s some serious girl power.

Above: Switzer running in 1967 being pushed off the course by race official; boyfriend and coach intervening.

Below: Switzer at the Boston Marathon in 2017.

Superbloom spring makes for beautiful cactuses out west.

As a result of the ended draught, California’s cactuses are doing better than ever, experts say. In 2015, nearly a third of cactus species were at risk of extinction, so this is great news for ecologists, the animals that depend on them for their livelihood, and let’s face it, all the people who love those spiny little (and big) guys. If you’re headed out west for the summer, try to see some cactuses. You won’t be disappointed.

Bottom line: don’t get consumed with bad news. Try and see the good in life.

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Images/GIFs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Kristen Forscher

U Mass Amherst

English major with math and IT minor, interested in publishing. UMass Amherst class of 2018.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst