Life > Experiences

Plan My Dream Trip to Italy With Me!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

When I was younger, all I ever wanted to do was travel and see the world. I haven’t been able to travel nearly as much as I would like, but now that I’m in college and can study abroad in so many amazing places, it’s so hard to choose exactly where I want to go! I want to visit one of my top choices, Italy, next summer. The culture is so amazing and the food would be to die for! For the past four semesters, I have been taking Italian classes and plan on hopefully minoring in Italian Studies. Because I have this knowledge of both the culture and language, I cannot wait to explore such a beautiful country. As I wait to actually go to Italy, I’m going to share some of my dream places to visit, stay, and eat during either a vacation or study abroad experience!

Rome

My first stop in Italy would obviously be Rome — it’s the capital of Italy and has so much amazing history! I would love to walk around the city and see iconic sights like the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, the Colosseum, the Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter’s Basilica. One local food I would have to try is spaghetti alla carbonara Romana. Some restaurants that sound particularly appealing are “Felice e Testaccio,” “Enoteca La Tore,” and “Trattoria da Enzo.” 

Florence

Florence is known as the birthplace of the Renaissance, so while there I would spend a lot of time seeing all of the famous artwork. Some of my stops would be the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, the Uffizi Gallery, the statue of David, and the Ponte Vecchio. There are also great markets where you can buy local goods, such as the San Lorenzo Market and the Mercato Centrale. Florence has beautiful areas that feel less like a city as well, like the Boboli Gardens and the Pitti Palace. I think it would be really fun to stay in an Air BnB in Florence because there are so many options for gorgeous apartments to rent. Florence has some of the best gelato too, so I’d love to fill up on it when I’m there!

Verona

The setting of Shakespeare’s most famous play, Romeo and Juliet, Verona is a must-visit for an English major like me. I would have to see Juliet’s house, but there are also other gorgeous spots to see like the Verona Arena, the Giusti Garden, and the Piazza Dei Signori. Romeo’s house is actually a restaurant called “Osteria al Duca,” so I would love to eat there to get the full experience. 

Lake Como

A beautiful place to go for rest and relaxation, Lake Como offers incredible views and fun villages to explore. I would have to stay at a villa here, which can also be rented on Airbnb. Some areas I would visit are the Como Cathedral, the towns of Brunate and Menaggio, and Villa Balbianello. You can also take a boat ride on the lake, which sounds divine! I would finish off every day with a dinner at any restaurant with a view of the lake. 

Amalfi Coast

I would be lying if I didn’t say that a big reason I want to go to the Amalfi Coast is because that is where Harry Styles shot the music video for his song “Golden.” The seaside looks so lovely and relaxing and I would love to spend some days in the sun here! I would visit Positano, the Emerald Cave, Ravello, and Villa Rufolo. I can already see the pictures I would take here! 

And there you have it — my absolute dream vacation in Italy. These are obviously just a few of the many places I want to travel to in Italy, but I hope I’ve inspired you to start planning your next dream getaway!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Kate Dahlman

U Mass Amherst '24

Kate is a senior English major with a minor in business and a certificate in Professional Writing and Technical Communication at UMass Amherst. She is very passionate about all things literature! When she isn't studying or writing an essay, she loves to read, cook, and work out. She loves being apart of Her Campus at UMass!