yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Pimp My Pumpkin: 5 Alternative Ways to Decorate Your Pumpkin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

One of the greatest fall traditions many of us look forward to during the month of October is to carve your own pumpkin (or two, or three). Now that you are away at UMass, it might become more difficult to carve out pumpkins in your dorm room like you used to do at home. It’s easy to forget you don’t always have to carve your pumpkin in order to personalize it. This year, you can try pimping out your pumpkin with these 5 alternative ideas that will get you in the Halloween and fall spirit while you are away at college!

1. Glitter Pumpkins – Cover your pumpkin in a coat of Modge Podge and sprinkle your glitter of choice on your pumpkin. You can purchase Modge Podge at almost any store in Amherst and your pumpkin will sure be a great conversation starter. You can even use different kinds of glitter and make any design you want.

2. Painted Pumpkins – Dec out your pumpkin with any paint color of your choice. Painting your pumpkin is an easy and much cleaner way to personalize your pumpkin. You can even find stencils to use as well. Many stores also sell a variety of stamps and stencil sets that won’t break the bank!

3. Bedazzled Pumpkin – Cover your pumpkin in a coat of Modge Podge or glue and dec it out with gems. This one might take a bit longer to finish, but the results will sure pay off. This idea is perfect during a lazy Sunday afternoon with your besties.

4. Picture Perfect Pumpkin – Print out your favorite pictures from your computer and cover your pumpkin in a layer of Modge Podge. Cut out the pictures any way you want and place them right onto your pumpkin. You can also use wrapping paper or magazine clippings. Add one more layer of Modge Podge to seal everything over and presto; you have your own picture perfect pumpkin.

5. Splatter Painted Pumpkin – Get your favorite colors and splatter paint your pumpkin. You can even melt a box of crayons on the pumpkin too! This is super fun and easy, especially if you do it with friends.

Keep in mind, you don’t always have to carve your pumpkins this fall season, try these 5 fun ideas and you are sure to have your own creative and personalized pumpkins for the fall season. Not only will you skip the mess from carving pumpkins, these alternative options are way easier, especially if you’re living in a dorm! With a few coats of Modge Podge and some creativity, the possibilities are endless when it comes to making your own creative pumpkin. Happy Halloween and happy pumpkin season!

Elana Jacobson

U Mass Amherst