sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Phi Sigma Pi’s Halloween-Themed 5K

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Looking for a fun way to celebrate Halloween and the fall season next weekend? Trying to find a way to give back to the Amherst community? Phi Sigma Pi of UMass has got you covered. On Sunday, November 2nd, Phi Sigma Pi, a gender-inclusive honor fraternity, will be hosting a Halloween-Themed 5K! The 5K takes place right on campus and will include a Halloween costume contest, raffles, games, and even prizes for both the first place man and woman! Grab your best Halloween costume and join in the fun with this meaningful run (or walk). The first 100 people to register will get a FREE $5 Bueno Y Sano giftcard!

The 5K begins at 11:00am at the Haigis Mall and 100% of the proceeds will be going to Reader to Reader, Phi Sigma Pi’s local philanthropy. This organization is a public charity dedicated to bringing books, free of charge, to under-funded school libraries and public libraries across the country. Its aim is to encourage literacy in young people.

According to Reader to Reader, 60% of underprivileged children do not own a single book. While this statistic may seem absolutely absurd to many, it only goes to show how important organizations like Reader to Reader truly are. Reader to Reader serves the nation’s poorest communities. Among these are inner-city schools, Native American Reservations, and poor rural towns.  The organization helps to bring books for all reading levels to libraries in these areas so that even children living in such poverty have resources that will able to help them develop their reading and writing skills.

Come join Phi Sigma Pi in its 5K to help support the literacy of young people and to help invest in the future of the next generation. 

Register today! 

For any questions, contact Philanthropy Advisor, Erin Doncaster, at PSPBYphilanthropy@gmail.com or 603-724-5397

Sources: 1, 2, 3

Diana Weinstein

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst