Phi Sigma Pi’s Chasing Color 5K Run, Walk, Relay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Phi Sigma Pi, the only co-ed Honor Fraternity at UMass, is hosting their annual 5K fundraiser on April 13th at 11:00 AM. 100% of the proceeds benefit their national and local philanthropies, Teach for America and Reader to Reader. The race begins and ends at Kendrick Park, across from Bertucci’s in Amherst Center.

You can sign up to run, walk, or participate in a six-stop relay along the route. The registration fee is $5. Day of, the registration is $7 at the start of the race. Free hats and $5 Bueno Y Sano gift cards will be given to the first 100 people who register! Essentially, you are participating for free if you spend that $5 at Bueno!

The brothers of Phi Sigma Pi encourage participants to bring books for any pre-K-12 age to donate to Reader to Reader and/or school supplies for TFA.

Participants can tie dye or splatter paint their hat upon finishing the route. There will be many great raffles and donations from their generous donors: AJ Hastings, Amherst Business Improvement District (BID), Amherst Cinema, Antonio’s, Bertucci’s, Bruegger’s Bagels, Bueno Y Sano, CVS, Fresh Side, Hair East, Henion Bakery, Judie’s, Lone Wolf, Purele, and Stop and Shop.

Teach for America is an organization of recent college graduates who commit to teaching two years in an urban or rural public school. Their mission is to help improve the differences in educational inequality that is seen across the nation by connecting these impoverished areas with people who have shown interest in this effort.

Reader to Reader is a public charity dedicated to bringing books, free of charge, to under-resourced school libraries and public libraries across the United States. Brothers of Phi Sigma Pi strongly support these causes and are committed to helping their efforts.

Please sign up here! And check out the Facebook event page.

Please email PSPBYphilanthropy@gmail.com with any questions.

Karen Podorefsky

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst