The People’s Climate March: My First Public Protest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As we drove into the city, the nervous thoughts that had been lingering in the back of my mind throughout the week came to the forefront with full force. Growing up in a small Maine town, there were never opportunities to participate in protests like this. Within the hours leading up to the People’s March for Climate Change in New York City, I found myself to be excited, nauseous, and enthusiastic all at once. I asked myself over and over again if what I was doing was really going to make a difference. As much as I wanted to be a part of the march, there was a part of me that was hesitant. I mean, the Occupy Movement did not have as big of an impact as those participated had probably hoped, so what if this was just seen by the rest of the world as another hippie movement of a bunch of tree-huggers wanting unrealistic changes? But man, was I dead wrong!

What most don’t understand about protests is that it’s not just about the issue at hand or the change the participants want. It would be a nice touch if the protest had a huge impact and there was an immediate change within society or the government, but as I marched alongside my close friends as well as strangers, I realized that the individuals who made up this movement are what actually mattered. There were people there of all ages; from babies to the elderly, people were marching for a cause that held meaning for them in ways I could never have imagined. 

One person who had a major impact on my view of the movement was a young lady who was my age that belonged to a Native American tribe living in the Northern region of Canada. My heart broke as I listened to her story of how her home was being destroyed by the oil spills that were killing the wildlife and the ecosystem that her family has lived off of for generations. When she ended her speech with a song she had written in her native language, there was not a single dry eye in the room. This young woman gave me the extra motivation I needed to go to the march the next day. After she had finished, I knew that this march was something I not only wanted to do, but that I needed to do.

The next morning, I stood on the intersection of Central Park West and 81st street holding a sign that said, “I am marching for future generations.” People inside and outside of the march took pictures that would later be uploaded to all social media sites in hopes to make people aware that the citizens wanted a change. The news stations were all there covering the story, and I could not believe I was a part of something that would be heard of all over the world.

So now, let’s get to the moral of the story. Why did I decide to write this article? Although I gush about the march whenever anyone asks me about it, I want this article to inspire others as much as that young girl had impacted me. Whether it’s for the environment or against war, I encourage those who have a passion to take part in trying to make a change. Do not fear what others may think of you by taking part of a public protest! I mean, what the heck, it’s in the Constitution to have the right to assemble and peacefully protest! One of my favorite quotes is “Be the change you wish to see in the world,” and I think that people should keep that in mind. When people stand united for a common cause, it can make an impact. Even if it’s only one person that you inspire or make aware of your position, you are still making a difference. Change does not come from one big act, but several small ones that build off of each other. 

Want to get involved in making change happen? Simply pull up google and search for non-profit organizations that are involved in an issue your passionate about. Some organizations are Greenpeace, PETA (animal rights), MassPirg, the Occupy Movement, and the list goes on and on! So don’t be afraid to reach out and become a part of something you can make happen! 

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4
Heather Ducharme

U Mass Amherst

Hey everyone, I'm Heather! I am currently a Junior at UMass Amherst with a double major in legal studies and political science. During the Spring 2014 semester, I studied abroad in Florence and had the most incredible experience traveling and absorbing the Italian culture. I am currently a UMass Women into Leadership fellow which is a competitive program designed to prepare young women interested in public service for their careers after UMass. My passions include dance, traveling, tea, reading, and writing. I am also a huge advocate for women's issues as well as eating disorders and mental health. This is my second semester with Her Campus.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst