This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

So, you’re in love. It’s this wonderful feeling that you just can’t seem to hold back no matter where you are. You just want to express how much you love your significant other at all times. Unfortunately, some of these times may not be the most appropriate and you may be displaying just too much affection. Here are some dos and don’ts when it comes to Public Displays of Affection.

DO: Hold hands

Whatever your hand-holding style may be, this is a very simple way to display affection. Since doing this actually links you two together, it lets everyone around you know you are a couple, and you are happy to be seen as a unit. It has also been proven in a study done by University of Virginia psychologist, Dr. James Coan, that holding your significant others hand can relieve extreme stress—making hand-holding not only an appropriate form of PDA, but also proves it to be a healthy form as well.  Of course, when it’s below freezing and you aren’t wearing gloves or mittens, it is completely okay to boycott this form of PDA in order to keep your fingers for later hand-holding experiences, and for many other reasons.

DON’T: Make out

You are in love. We get it. What we don’t want is to get a clear picture of what goes on when you two aren’t in public. It is usually just rude and makes everyone who happens to catch you two in the act very uncomfortable. This becomes even ruder if you are in a group setting because tonsil hockey doesn’t allow for very much conversation. Just remember Collegiettes, it’s perfectly okay to be in love and show it, just be aware and respectful to those around you!

DO: Give a quick kiss on the cheek or lips

Being in love can be hard to control sometimes, so if you get that overwhelming feeling, give a quick peck on the cheek or lips. You can still show your significant other your affection while not bothering anyone around you—a win-win!

DON’T: Be “that couple” at the restaurant

By this I mean a few things:

1. Don’t sit on the same side of the booth. You can still show affection by holding hands across the table or smiling at one another. The point of going out for a meal though is to enjoy good conversation and food, so just be happy in each other’s company!

2. Also, please do not feed each other. One bite is cute, but a whole meal will make everyone else’s meal come with a side of nausea.

DO/DON’T: Social Media

This subject is tricky. There is a delicate balance as to how much of your love life should be displayed online. If you decide to post about your relationship on Facebook, keep in mind that ALL your friends can see what you post and not everyone wants a front row seat to your love life. It’s completely okay to be proud of your relationship and want to share that, but be careful not to share everything.

Posting pictures of the two of you is another way to display your commitment to one another, but be careful not to bombard everyone’s newsfeed. Also, think a lot before posting any suggestive pictures with your significant other—you may make others feel uncomfortable, but more importantly, future employers will be able to see what you post. What you put out there is up to you Collegiettes, just remember that your love life was never meant to be accessible to everyone.

It’s okay to be in love – just be classy and mindful of those around you Collegiettes!

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Hey everyone! My name's Kelly Tierney and I'm a Senior here at Umass Amherst majoring in English and minoring in Education.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst