This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As we enter October here in New England the leaves are rapidly changing colors and the temperature is dropping. This is certainly a different fall than most of us have ever experienced before! During these times it might be hard to think of things to do while still trying to follow COVID-19 guidelines, but there are many ways to still get outside and be safe. Here are a few ideas of things to do this season during the pandemic!

Hiking

Hiking is a great way to get some exercise and spend time with friends while still being outside. Amherst has an endless amount of great hiking trails available, but if you’re not living near UMass, there’s definitely some trails near you! It is great to take advantage of being outside before the weather gets too cold!

Taking Photos

Whether solo or with friends, taking pictures outside is a fun outdoor activity. You can take some nice shots of fall foliage or other nature pics if you’re going solo. If you’re going with friends it could be fun to dress up and do a photoshoot together.

Picnic With Friends

Grabbing take-out or making an Instagram worthy cheeseboard to take to a local park is a good alternative to eating at a restaurant. Bring along a speaker, spend time with friends and family, and enjoy the outdoors.

Drive-In Movie

The pandemic has brought back drive-in movies, and I’m definitely not upset about it! Check online to see where the nearest drive-in is to you, and go with some friends. Pack some snacks and cozy blankets to share. A bonus is if they are showing Halloween movies.

Apple or Pumpkin Picking

Both apple and pumpkin picking are New England staples. It is easy to social distance and still have fun doing both of these. Get a bunch of apples to bake with or a pumpkin to bring home and carve. Don’t forget to grab an apple cider donut while you’re there!

I hope you can try out some of these outdoor fall activites to make the most out of the season before the weather gets too cold!

Julia Brown

U Mass Amherst '23

Julia Brown is currently a sophomore at UMass Amherst studying nutrition and public health. She loves hanging with friends and finding cute coffee shops in her free time. Feel free to follow her on instagram @juliabrown15
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst