Palette Refresher: What to Listen to When You Have Nothing to Listen to

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Have you ever been in a music slump where even songs that you listened to on repeat for hours on end in the past just don’t fit the vibe, and you have no idea what to listen to? Here are a couple of suggestions from multiple genres to spice up your playlists and lift you out of the musical plateau we all feel sometimes.

“Stargirl Interlude” – the Weeknd FT. Lana Del Ray

This is such an underrated song on The Weeknd’s album Starboy. This song is the definition of what it feels like to float in time, and even though it is a relatively short song, every second of it is amazing. Lana Del Ray’s vocals with The Weeknd’s production and his own vocals make this 1:52 song an incredible listen. If you’re feeling the pop and R’n’B vibe, but don’t want anything too upbeat, this is the perfect song to try out.

“When it breaks” – Inhaler

This song is an alternative rock masterpiece; with the chord progressions, vocal changes, and beautiful riffs from the electric guitar, it is possibly one of my favorite songs from the genre. The band, Inhaler, hails from Dublin, Ireland, and has been steadily moving up in the world of music. The fast-paced tempo of the song is great when you need something a little loud or just want a song to get hyped up to.

“New Info” – Redveil

“New Info” is a song that is backed with great lyricism as the artist, Redveil, is able to go bar-for-bar rapping about his life and everything he has gone through. What is amazing about this song is how lyrically packed it is while still keeping the attention of the listener the whole way through. You cannot get bored listening to this song, and it being on his first official album, Learn to Swim, makes it even more amazing.

“Sober II (Melodrama)” – Lorde

Melodrama is in competition with Pure Heroine in being my absolute favorite Lorde album to date, and one major reason is because of songs like “Sober II.” This song starts off calm and slow, but the beat switch in the middle turns it into the perfect song for a late-night drive. The synth chords and her raw vocals elevate the experience of listening to this song, and is also why it is a perfect song to get you out of a music slump.

“Prom” – SZA

I love this song because of how fast-paced it is, and how much story-telling SZA is able to do in such a short amount of time. The song is so upbeat and her vocals make it even more amazing as she is able to match the vibe of the music as she creates a beautiful yet danceable song. If you are in the mood for more pop/energetic music, this is a great song to listen to!

These are some of my favorite songs of all time, and I go back to them whenever I want to refresh my musical palette. I hope these recommendations help you out when you feel like you don’t have anything to listen to.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Nandini Kritam

U Mass Amherst '25

Nandini is a junior Biochemistry and Molecular Biology major, who loves writing, listening to music, photography, and drawing. She loves finding niche topics and writing about the world and her experiences!