An Open Letter to Target

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Dear Target,

Some people get excited over the golden arches of McDonalds, but me? I light up when I see the two red rings that when combined form the greatest symbol of all time: the Target bullseye. Everyone that knows me knows the way to my heart is asking if I want to go to Target, or getting me a Target gift card. If there was ever a store that I could live in, I’d pick you—hands down, no questions asked. You have furniture to sleep on, TVs to watch, games to play, food to eat, clothes to wear, and so much more.

You have it all inside of your walls and because of that I know that I can go to you whenever I need something. If I need the all-important dry shampoo, I’ll go to you. If I need a last-minute dress for some big event, you have the perfect selection. If my friends and I need ingredients for a chocolate chip cookie craving, you not only have the ingredients, but you also have the ice cream to go with it.  There’s something about walking through your aisles that is just so therapeutic. I’ll go when I’m stressed, when I’m sad, when I’m happy, and when I’m bored— even though the only time I should go is when I need something. But one can’t just go to you and leave with one thing, it’s near impossible. When it does happen, there is a sense of pride because a myth became reality. It’s even more of a feat if someone goes in and gets nothing because honestly, how? Everything is fairly priced and affordable, but the clearance sections are the true gold mines. Racks on racks of clothes and other products at an even cheaper price than the original, and said price can go down even more. It’s magic.

Back to school, the holiday season, and the beginning of summer are the busiest but best times of the year to go since it’s an excuse to stay in there longer and look at everything because at least for school, there’s always a use to be found for any unnecessary trinket found. Each section of the store is clearly labeled, but it’s so easy to get lost. Each customer has their favorite section, but the most underrated is the dollar section. Not many people can be found here, but it’s so great—one has to wonder why the whole store isn’t crowded together in the small area. There are so many fun things to be found here and they’re just a dollar, so there’s no guilt to be felt if I walk away with five items.  The slogan, “Expect More. Pay Less.” is something that you uphold every day and I can appreciate something that stays true to their word, so thank you. Because of this you invite a plethora of customers that will always come back for more, me included. I want to thank you, Target, just for being your truly amazing and fantastic self. Please never change.

HCXO,

A loyal customer

Images: 1234

Addie Levine

U Mass Amherst

English major with a love for music, TV, and all things pop culture. Born and raised in MA!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst