This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

When you clicked on this article, you were probably expecting the typical self-love spiel of how you’re beautiful with or without makeup… which is true. And you are. I don’t have to know you to point out that every girl is amazing, stunning, and perfect in her own unique way. Everyone needs to know how special they are and that being the only you there is means you’re remarkable. But that’s not what this is all about.

Why is it that when somebody does things differently, they’re subjected to shaming? There’s shaming about anything from being overweight to how you dress, and now there’s makeup shaming. It’s all so ridiculous, and we can thank the internet for that garbage.

Here’s the deal, you – the girl that thinks she has to wear makeup all the time, might be doing this for so many different reasons. And if it’s out of shame, that nagging feeling that the world won’t see your beauty unless you paint on a new face, then I direct you to the opening of this article. You are flawless. Don’t forget that.

But there’s another demographic of the makeup-obsessed girl: the girl who genuinely enjoys wearing makeup, the one who feels amazing walking down the street with that new Kat Von D lipstick on. You’re fierce and cool and everyone secretly wants to be you, ’cause who else could pull off a navy lip and a heavy brow.

Makeup shaming is real, people. Trolls on the internet like to tell women that wearing that much makeup makes them a fraud. They’re wrong. You work that cat-eye, and love every second of it. Because guess what, you’re worth more than your haters.

Recently, there has been a spike of stories about girls who use makeup to cover their acne or just to give themselves a glam look – with a lot of backlash from the media. They’re labeled as a fake and a phony, but I say that’s ridiculous

So whether you wear makeup because you think you have to, or because you know you look so good with that contouring…forget what other people think and just do what you want to do. Because in the end, you’re the only one that you need to worry about. So live it up, and don’t apologize. 

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst