An Open Letter to the Girl Who’s Falling Apart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

To the girl who’s falling apart,

I see you. I know you’ve heard this before but I promise you’re not alone. Your feelings are crushed and your heart seems so shattered that it feels impossible to put back together. I’ve been there and so have countless other people. I’ve had my heart ripped apart from losing a best friend, my emotions thrown into the darkest, deepest hole imaginable from a relationship ending, and have dealt with many other moments where I felt like I could not take it anymore. But I did. And so can you. You are stronger than you know and you can fight through these moments that feel like they are slowly destroying you.

It may seem like everything in your life is on a downhill track with no way up, but I swear to you that if you surround yourself with good people and positivity, you will come out of this horribly difficult time as a stronger and braver woman. If you feel like everyone in your life is toxic, find help. Go to a professional because there’s nothing wrong with seeing someone who’s trained to help people figure out how to cope with hard times. Find a healthy outlet to bring your spirits back up. Don’t rely on drinking yourself into oblivion or shutting yourself out from anyone that wants to help you. Talk with your friends, your parents, your siblings — really anyone you trust will be understanding and help you clear your mind. If schoolwork or your job are causing you more stress than you think is normal, get in contact with your professor or your manager because they can help you set up a schedule where your mental and physical health isn’t compromised. Or, maybe you’re like me and talking out your feelings isn’t your thing. Fine. But don’t let your negative thoughts control you.

Do something productive like journaling, going for a run, or watching funny TV shows to give your mind a rest. The pain you feel is temporary, and finding a healthy outlet will help speed up the healing process. However, that’s not to say you can’t be sad. Feel your emotions. It’s good to cry and scream at the world if you need to, but don’t let that kind of mindset take over your life. Take however long you need to grieve, but also remind yourself after each breakdown you have that you are smart, beautiful and powerful. Know that the feelings you’re experiencing will dissipate with time. Maybe you’ll never be healed completely, but that doesn’t mean you can never be happy again. I don’t know your exact situation, but I do know that the pain you’re feeling is tearing you apart. Remember that it’s okay to feel like this. It’s okay to cry even weeks after whatever happened to you occurred. Your emotions are nothing to be ashamed of, and whatever or whoever hurt you will eventually fade and you’ll feel okay again. You’ll laugh again, you’ll smile until it hurts again, you’ll find yourself again. I swear.

Sincerely,

Dani

Images: 1, 2

Danielle Jin

U Mass Amherst '20

Dani is a senior at UMass Amherst majoring in English with a double minor in psychology and education. Aside from writing for Her Campus, Dani loves being with her friends, hiking with her dog, marathoning bad horror movies on Netflix, and eating unhealthy amounts of Haagen Dasz green tea ice cream. Right now, she's just trying to figure out her next move post-graduation :)
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst