Style > Beauty

Not Your Mother’s Eyeliner: 7 Unconventional Eyeliner Styles, Courtesy of The Beauty Department

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Spring has finally sprung here in Massachusetts, Collegiettes. We all can agree that with the sunshine bringing us warmer weather, our motivation to get ready in the morning has awoken from its winter hibernation. It’s time to wipe the sleep out of our eyes, and wake them up by embracing this spring’s beauty trends.

After vigorously surfing through Pinterest, I stumbled on multiple, totally unique “eye fashions” courtesy of The Beauty Department. Be ready to toss those dark, dreary pencil, gel and liquid liners to the side, Collegiettes, and make way for these fun and unconventional ways to wear your eyeliner this season:

1. An Ombre Liner

Many would think that an Ombre is a style only to be rocked by your hair, but they should think again! Take three tones of your favorite colored liner, and follow the steps above for those funky lunch dates out in Amherst, or Noho.

2. A Spring-Fling Liner

This eyeliner trick will scream “Love is in the air.” Notice the color blocking method used, in which black liquid liner is used in addition to the soft pink, creating a clean, fresh look. Use this trick with other pastel hues as well to bring out your sweet side.

3. A Scalloped Liner

Is it just me, or does this scalloped effect potentially peep the word Easter into your ear? Either way, this clever trick creates an interesting shape that could make any eye pop. This effect would also look amazing with soft pastel colors, or even sparkly shades as well.

4. A Mascara Liner

Thought that your wild colored liquid liner could only be used for your lids and waterline? Well, if you are feeling particularly adventurous, try swiping that color along your lashes to enhance your liner and eye shadow effect. This is a perfect look for a blowout event!

5. A Tuxedo Liner

For those special occasions, a formal eyeliner is almost as imperative as the formal wear itself. Most ladies opt for a solid black top liner that is winged at the ends (if they are skilled enough to do so). This is widely known as a classic, and iconic look. However, with color blocking in mind, adding a line of stark white liner on top of the black liner makes for an impressive and striking look.

6. The Underlid Liner

This trick is simple enough to execute flawlessly, even for those awful Monday morning 8am routines. The trick here is to keep the top lid of your eye looking very subtle and natural, paying more attention to the bottom lash line. Opt for a color that draws out the natural pigments of your eye, and for those really tired mornings, substitute a color for white eyeliner to appear more awake!

7. The Rainbow Liner

Alright, I know. This look is truly “out there” and does not look all that simple to achieve either. But I couldn’t resist adding this liner look to this compilation, because it truly takes the cake for the most unique eyeliner style that I have ever seen. Where on earth would one wear this (other than to a Halloween or My Little Pony party), you ask? Well, with the music festival season in full swing, rainbow liner can be sure to bring funk and pop to any venue.

Spending a little extra time on your daily makeup routine may be a challenge at first, but changing styles up and taking risks is what makes us who we are, am I right?

HCXO!

All photos courtesy of thebeautydepartment.com.

Patricia Camerota

U Mass Amherst

Patricia is a Sophomore Communications Major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Patricia has a strong passion for writing, eating, painting, and playing with her dog. She wishes to pursue a career in Public Relations.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst