This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

So you have super oily skin and you want to find the perfect night time routine. Let me help you find some good products…

Hey, I’m Anaamika and this is Skincare 101 for my fellow skincare junkies…  Let’s get to it!

Let’s start by finding you a good cleanser. You want one that will remove excess oil without being too drying or stripping. The Krave Beauty Matcha Hemp hydrating cleanser is one of my favorites. It has a nice foamy consistency for dealing with oil, but is packed with hydrating and skin strengthening ingredients. 

Another key to keeping oily-ness in-check is a good exfoliant. Salicylic acid (BHA) is my go-to for oily skin because it’s an oil soluble exfoliating acid. The Paula’s Choice 2% BHA liquid is one of my faves. I recommend using it 1-3 nights a week after cleansing before the rest of your other products. 

*Note: Always Always Always use a chemical exfoliant/gentle masks to help minimize the visibility of your pores or when treating acne. Peel-off masks and harsh scrubs (I’m looking at you, St. Ives) are WAY too stripping and can cause more harm than good in the long run. So throw away those charcoal masks that feel like glue and “cleansers” that feel like sandpaper and head to the store and invest in quality exfoliants because your skin deserves it. There are ways to physically exfoliate too, so I’d say, take the time to learn what your skin likes and, in the end, the ingredients are what matters. It is soo important that you know and understand what you’re putting on your face. 

So we have cleansing and exfoliating; now we need hydrating and strengthening. Look for ingredients that will strengthen the skin and regulate oil production like niacinamide. My favorite niacinamide serum is the Naturium Niacinamide Serum 12% plus Zinc 2%. It’s refreshing, gentle, and effective. 

Black girl magic photo
Photo by Leighann Blackwood from Unsplash

You also need a good moisturizer. Look for one that’s lightweight and breathable like the Krave Beauty Oat so Simple Water Cream. It’s simple and hydrating, and it’s so lightweight — it feels like a splash of water on the skin. 

Remember, everyone’s skin is different and will react differently to all skincare products. I have some tips for all of you who are trying a new skincare routine, or just if you notice that your skin seems irritated. Pay attention my fellow POC – this advice is especially for you; skincare products are rarely made for POC and can often cause more hyperpigmentation, dry skin, and even chemical burns (and can definitely also happen with those who just have sensitive skin and those who don’t use the product correctly). Here are four easy tips and products to help restore your skin barrier:

1. First and foremost, take a break; give your skin a good 2 weeks without exfoliants or retinols so it has time to recover.

2. Make sure you’re using a really gentle cleanser… and honestly in the mornings you can try skipping the cleanser all together — try just using lukewarm water! Try the Vanicream Gentle Facial Cleanser or the CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser. They’re incredibly simple, gentle, and set at a good price.  

3. Use a skin-strengthening treatment product. Look for ingredients like: ceramides, niacinamide, madecassoside, propolis, etc. The Krave Beauty Great Barrier Relief serum is amazing for this; it uses niacinamide, ceramides, and skin strengthening oils to repair the skin barrier. 

4. Use a heavier cream or balm at night. I love the Etude House SoonJung Cica Balm-Panthensoside 5. I put a layer on over my nighttime moisturizer.

Now, for all these products to work and really change your skin, there is one condition. And that is SUNSCREEN. I, myself, have made the mistake of not wearing sunscreen everyday. Yes, everyday…even when you’re going to be in classes all day, sitting at home, or going on a short drive. Yes, even on those cloudy mornings. This is VITAL to keeping your skin smooth, hydrated, and combats PIH (post inflammatory hyperpigmentation – acne scarring). If you’re using any chemical exfoliants or active ingredients, it is so much more important that this is your last step of your skincare routine. Even if your makeup says it contains SPF, people rarely use the amount needed for the SPF to work. I am simply obsessed with the Purito Centella Green Level Unscented Sun (No white-cast *yay*). But if you already have tubs of sunscreen lying around your house from those days where only your mom could force you to wear it, just make sure it hasn’t gotten clumpy and is SPF 30+ 

Good Luck!

Autumn Goodman / Unsplash

Anaamika Nair

U Mass Amherst '23

Anaamika is going into her second year at UMass Amherst as a political science and African American Studies double major. She's always had a passion for writing and often uses her platform on Her Campus to share relevant think pieces. Outside of Her Campus, Anaamika works as a conduct advisor and is a part of the Restorative Justice Taskforce. To destress, she loves to run and you can usually find her at a coffee shop getting her daily fix of caffeine!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst