Netflix’s Newest Hit: ‘Master of None’ Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you liked Aziz Ansari in the Emmy nominated sitcom Parks and Recreation, I have no doubt that you’ll love him in his new Netflix original series Master of None. The series is created and written by Ansari and Alan Yang, who also wrote for Parks and Rec. Myself and critics agree, it’s a hit.

Season 1 of Master of None is available to stream on Netflix now. Although there are only ten episodes, critics are already loving it, giving it 8.6 rating on IMDb and 91% on Metacritic. Its success so far leads me to believe (and hope!) that there will be more episodes released soon, with content of the same high caliber as season one.

So what exactly is the series about? The show offers a refreshing look at being young and finding yourself in today’s world. The characters, and scenarios they find themselves in, are nothing too out of the ordinary, but the show works and is incredibly funny. Forbes contributor J. Maureen Henderson says, “The show feels relatable not because the characters necessarily are, but because the world they navigate and their reactions to it seem true to life.”

Although the characters are older than us college students, their experiences are not far from ones we may have faced, or will face in the near future. Everything is not happy-go-lucky all of the time, but that’s okay. That’s life. And the show reminds viewers of that. Despite the fact that the characters find themselves in sometimes difficult or even downright awkward situations, the show presents it in a relatable, and hilarious, way.

Master of None shows Aziz Ansari in a new light. This show offers a deeper look at him as a character and an actor, and I can’t help but think that his character must be at least somewhat autobiographical. The show is funny, smart, and even touching. I highly recommend it, and can’t wait for future seasons to be released.

Sources: 1, 2Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3

Allie Bush

U Mass Amherst

Senior Communication Major at UMass Amherst
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst