Need a new read to get lost in? Here are 3 of my favorite CoHo Books!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I’ve always loved reading but I noticed that during the school year, it was so hard for me to read for fun. That’s why one of my goals for 2022 was to read for 10 minutes every day before bed. I also want to read at least 24 books by the end of the year. I started my year by reading Colleen Hoover’s books and I think it’s safe to say that I’m addicted!

Colleen Hoover is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of 22 novels and novellas. Her writing usually falls into the categories of New Adult, Young Adult contemporary romance, and psychological thriller. 

Here are three of my favorite books by Colleen Hoover:

It ends with us

One of the best books I’ve ever read! It was so captivating, I couldn’t put it down. It was heavy and powerful; I can’t stop thinking about the plot and I feel like I never will. Here’s a summary of the book:

It Ends with Us focuses on Lily who has had a difficult past, but that has never stopped her from working hard for the life she desires. She’s gone a long way since growing up in a little town in Maine — she graduated from college, moved to Boston, and started her own business. Lily goes on to strike a connection with a stunning neurosurgeon, Ryle Kincaid, making everything in her life seem too good to be true. Ryle is assertive and stubborn, but also brilliant and sensitive. Lily can’t seem to get him off of her mind. However, Ryle’s aversion to relationships is concerning. Lily finds herself as an exception to his “no dating” rule, but she can’t help but wonder what made him the way he is. As she wrestles with questions about her new relationship, she’s reminded of Atlas Corrigan, her first love and a link to the past she’d left behind. He was her defender and a kindred soul. What will happen when Atlas suddenly reappears jeopardizing everything Lily has built with Ryle?

I would give It Ends with Us a 5/5! When I finished the book, I was full of so many emotions. I truly believe everyone needs to read this book for its message.

Verity

Thrilling. Disturbing. Brilliant. My brain could not process what I had read after I finished this book. I read Verity in one sitting because I quite literally could not put it down. Verity is a thriller and romantic suspense book. The writing is marvelous, but the story messed with my mind. It is a very different book but, damn it’s good. Here’s a summary of the book:

Verity starts off with Lowen Ashleigh, a struggling writer on the verge of financial ruin, accepting the job opportunity of a lifetime. Lowen has been hired by best-selling novelist Verity Crawford’s husband, Jeremy Crawford, to finish the remaining books in a lucrative series that his injured wife is unable to complete. Lowen reaches the Crawford home and is ready to sift through years of Verity’s notes in order to find enough to get started. Unexpectedly, Lowen finds an incomplete autobiography that Verity never meant for anybody to read. It contained pages of harrowing confessions, including Verity’s account of what happened the day her daughter died. Lowen chooses to keep the manuscript away from Jeremy since she knows that it would break the heart of the already suffering father. However, Lowen’s feelings for Jeremy become stronger and she sees all the ways she could profit if he reads his wife’s thoughts because despite how dedicated Jeremy is to his wounded wife, he would be unable to continue to love her if he knew the truth.

I would give Verity a 5/5. If you do read it, let me know if you’re team manuscript or team letter? ;)

November 9th

I absolutely loved November 9th. I was swept off my feet, fell in love, was heartbroken, and then experienced the biggest and best plot twist. It had my heart racing the entire time! Here’s a summary of the book:

November 9th is about Fallon, an ambitious novelist, who meets Ben the day before she moves across the country. Their sudden connection prompts them to spend Fallon’s final day in Los Angeles and her story provides Ben with the creative inspiration he’s been looking for his novel. They continue to meet on the same date every year, despite their numerous relationships and tribulations in their own lives. But then one day, Fallon isn’t sure if Ben is telling her the truth or constructing a perfect reality for the sake of a final dramatic twist. Will Ben’s relationship with Fallon, along with his novel, be a love story if it doesn’t have a happy ending?

I would give November 9th a 4.5/5. This book throws you right into the story, you hit the ground running and it’s a nonstop ride until the end!

These three books have impressive plotlines and are written marvelously. I hope these book reviews encourage you to read Colleen Hoover’s books. Happy reading!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Anumeha Rajvanshi

U Mass Amherst '23

Anumeha is a senior studying Biochemistry & Molecular Biology and Neuroscience. In her free time, you'll find her fueling her shopping addiction, jamming to Blackbear and Bazzi, bullet journaling, or discovering new restaurants. She is also a research assistant at Richardson's Lab, President of Nu Rho Psi National Honor Society in Neuroscience, and General E-board Member of the Biochemistry Club.