National Day of Unplugging

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

In this day and age, it seems as though we are always within an arm’s reach of our technology. As of 2015, over two-thirds of the United States’ population owned a smartphone. These tools increase the convenience of communication and access to the internet. In a fast-paced world, they are essential. But what about their negative effects?

Our tech-savvy generation can’t seem to put the devices away. Unsurprisingly, overuse of these can result in issues including poor sleep habits, cyberbullying, declining physical health, and even isolation. So Collegiettes, I have a challenge for you. This weekend, from sundown on March 4 to sundown on March 5, is the National Day of Unplugging: I dare you to participate.

The National Day of Unplugging is a project by the Jewish nonprofit, Reboot. While the holiday is based off of the traditions of Shabbat, the NDU is a great opportunity for anyone to unplug, regardless of personal religious beliefs. The purpose of the NDU is to step back from our hectic, technology-filled lives in order to reconnect with the present. Take some time to enjoy the company of your family and friends, explore the great outdoors, or just relax.

For some people, a full 24 hours without technology seems daunting. If you fall within that group, challenge yourself to unplug for just a few hours. If you can make it through the morning without your phone, try to make it through the afternoon too. Make it a fun experiment with your friends, check out the official National Day of Unplugging website, share your own “I unplug to…” picture, and see who can make it the longest without turning back to their technology. As a person who is constantly checking her four email accounts, scrolling through Facebook or Instagram, and updating a blog, I know that it seems like an impossible endeavor. But I promise you, it’s worth it.

After the holiday is over, try and keep the basic premise in your mind. If we’re always on our technology, we’re missing what’s happening in the here and now. Set reasonable goals for yourself, even if it’s to power down for the last few hours before you head to bed every night. If you’re looking for a way to disconnect from social media and enjoy your life, the National Day of Unplugging is a great way to start.

Images: 1, 2, 3

Sources: 1, 2, 3

Jill Kuzeja

U Mass Amherst

UMass senior, equestrian, and lover of all things Disney.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst