Molly Peach-Yosemite Valley
Molly Peach-Yosemite Valley
Molly Peach / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Freshman year had brought me new friends, long walks up OHill, and delicious omelets every single morning… but no spring break. However, sophomore year is here and my friends and I have finally gotten the chance to go on a trip together. We were in desperate need of a break from Amherst. While most students spend their week in Florida, the Carolinas, or even abroad, my group decided on Oregon. We have all been dying to see the coast and the Backseat Lovers were playing a show in Portland so obviously, it was a must. Not everything went as planned — well, actually, most things didn’t — but I wouldn’t trade this experience for the world. 

It all started bright and early Monday morning. We rose at 4 a.m. and reached Logan Airport a nice hour and a half before our flight. MISTAKE! What we had failed to take into account was that not only was it our spring break, but also many others. We stood in the longest line for TSA that I have ever seen and quickly began to sweat fearing that we would miss our flight. With negative 5 minutes to spare, I found myself running down the terminal trying to get to my gate. I arrived anxious and steamy, but luckily there were about 20 other passengers in the same boat so they held the gates a bit longer. While we had made it on the plane it didn’t take off for a good hour or so causing us and 10 other people to miss our connecting flight. After once again running to the gate frantically a minute after it closed, we were redirected to a help desk. By the grace of God and the wonderful employees at Alaska Airlines, we found another flight just a few hours later.

We spent the first day exploring the city and trying some new restaurants. Walking along the streets of Portland was like nothing I had ever seen before. 49% of the population are homeless and there were mile stretches of tents, tarps, and beaten down RVs. The contrast between our pompous, hipster barista serving $8 lattes and the unhoused population truly opened my eyes to the divide that exists in the city. While it was difficult to see I am grateful to not be ignorant of the situation and it really has changed my perspective on what I have, as well as what I can give. 

Tuesday rolled around and it was the day of the concert. It’s an hour before we leave and we are all dressed and ready when my friend yells out “the concert’s canceled”. Disappointed by this news, my friends and I didn’t know what else to do besides laugh at the misfortune and move on. Making the best of the night we sat, talked, and enjoyed each other’s company. 

It was Wednesday morning when we decided to get to planning our coast adventure and hiking endeavors. We sat around the breakfast nook sipping coffee and eating fried eggs searching for the most enticing views. We ended up driving along the coast Thursday stopping at different beaches and frolicking on the sand. Rain and wind-whipped viciously, but it didn’t stop our excitement. Soaking up every moment (literally) we searched for pretty rocks and even explored a secret beach that is accessed by a tunnel through a sea stack. 

That night I got to check another thing off my bucket list: staying in a yurt. Epic. After enjoying our circular living quarters for the evening we woke and began our trek to the forest. We spent the day hiking Silver Falls and drooling over the insane waterfalls, massive trees, and beautiful moss. I can now say that I have walked the inside of not one, not two, but three waterfalls. Wrapping that day up in our Airbnb, we taste-tested In and Out Burger for the first time. I’d give a solid 7/10, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Finally, Saturday came around and it was time to leave. Our flight was originally at 11:54 p.m., but repeatedly got pushed back until it reached an appalling 2:30 a.m. I am now sitting in the JFK airport at noon on Sunday awaiting my final flight home. This trip did not go as we expected in the slightest, but I learned to adjust to unexpected circumstances, saw the most breathtaking views, connected with nature, and got to do it all with my best friends by my side. 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Danica Shores

U Mass Amherst '24

Danica Shores is from the small town of Sandwich, Massachusetts located on Cape Cod. She has grown up with a loving mother, 3 siblings, many cats, two turtles, and a bird. Her interests include yoga, self-care, poetry, and taking long walks. Currently, Danica is studying as a psychology major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Her interests revolve around medical social work and providing therapeutic practices for young-adult women.