My Ranking of Taylor Swift’s Studio Albums

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As a huge Taylor Swift fan, I always have trouble answering the question: “What’s your favorite album?” This week, I decided to take some time to reflect and figure out what my answer to this question was. It was HARD. But I did it. So, here is my official ranking of Taylor Swift’s albums (even though in my heart, they’re all #1).

self-titled

Released back in 2006, this was Taylor’s debut album. I put this album lowest on my list only because I have seen how much she’s grown and changed since her debut. This is also arguably her most “country” album, a genre I rarely listen to. Overall, this album is definitely a classic, but isn’t usually something I’d turn on for myself.

red

Honestly, I sometimes forget this album exists. This was during Swift’s transition from strictly country into the pop genre, so I feel like it doesn’t stick out in my head the way other albums do. Although this album is ranked pretty low, I am still more than excited for the re-release (a 10-minute version of “All Too Well” can’t come soon enough). There are many iconic songs on this album, and I can’t wait to see what she does with them.

speak now

This album is super nostalgic and peak “old Taylor Swift” to me. Sometimes I just wake up and need to hear songs such as “Back to December” and “Better Than Revenge.” This album takes me back to middle school in the best way possible (if there ever was a best way possible). In my eyes, this is when Taylor’s voice and songwriting ability really started to mature. It feels like the beginning of her stardom to me.

1989

This is the first Taylor Swift album I saw performed live, so it definitely has a special place in my heart. Similar to what I said about Red, I kind of view this album as a stepping stone from vintage to modern Taylor. The era just doesn’t seem as strong as some of her others. However, there are still a lot of amazing songs on this album.

fearless (Taylor’s version)

I’m only including the re-recording of this album in this ranking for obvious reasons. The release of this album made me super emotional! I loved hearing how much her voice has changed and matured from the original recording to now. I’m so glad that Taylor now has the ability to own her songs, and I can’t wait to see where the rest of the re-recordings take her.

lover

This album just feels like summer to me. It’s so impressive and so unlike the rest of her albums prior to it. She just seems super in control of her life, and wants her to make sure everyone else knows it. Also, although this statement is obvious just because of the album title, I love that these songs are about being in love! Being known for her heartbreak ballads, this was something that was refreshing to hear from Taylor. I love listening to this album when I need something more lighthearted.

folklore/evermore

I decided to clump these two together because I really, really couldn’t decide which one I liked more. These albums are the least like any of her other albums, and that’s the reason why they were so successful in my eyes. They prove that Taylor can do anything, and she can do it really well. I also love the storyline these albums follow. Making songs like a story and having recurring characters make me want to listen to these albums over and over again. 

reputation

This could potentially be a really unpopular opinion, but this was by far my favorite Taylor Swift era. Although the songs in this album are amazing, I put this album at the top because of the way it shined a light on what Taylor was going through in her career. You have to be strong to go through what she has at the hands of the media. This album was shocking to a lot of people because it was her finally standing up for herself after so many years of criticism, and I think she did it perfectly. Seeing the success she gained just by speaking her truth is really inspiring, and it’s a reminder of how strong we all can be. 

The main takeaway of this article should be that Taylor Swift started strong, has stayed strong, and is going nowhere. If you need me, I’ll be here waiting for the re-recording of Red.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Brynn Geary

U Mass Amherst '24

Brynn is a senior and a communication and sociology major at UMass Amherst. Aside from writing, Brynn spends most of her time dancing, going to concerts and searching for the perfect iced oat milk latte.