My Personalized Spotify Playlists for Every Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

While I wish I was the type of person who is caught up on every one of her favorite artists’ new music, I have unfortunately been listening to the same songs since 2016. However, I have been crafting some niche playlists lately that I have on rotation each week. They’re a strong work in progress though, as inspiration only seems to strike when I am supposed to be doing my homework.

“Every Rap Song I’ve ever Heard”

First on the list is my pride and joy, my bluntly-named rap playlist called “Every Rap Song I’ve Ever Heard.” Initially created to impress any male that might set foot in my car, this playlist is quite literally every rap song I’ve ever heard and checks in at a whopping 17 hours long. This playlist definitely needs some love, but I can confidently say that “X” by 21 Savage was highly ranked in my Spotify wrapped for about three years, and it’s the second song on the playlist. 

“Vibes”

My second pride and joy, “vibes” (creative title, right?), was my other alternative to rap music. Any song not produced by Metro Boomin, Murda Beatz, Turbo, or DJ Mustard made the cut, so there were a LOT of random songs on this. Before I decided to do some rearranging about two years ago, you could find anything from Shawn Mendes, to SZA, to Wrabel, to COIN on here. Now, the refined version of “vibes” is slightly more contained, yet still gets shrunken down every few weeks when I find the time. This is my go-to playlist for long car rides or flights, and has been proven to mask the sound of people throwing up during the worst turbulence of my life (but that’s a story for another time). Today, listeners can find a soothing mix of old Quinn XCII, Billie Eilish, Vance Joy, Frank Ocean, and Lorde. 

“Yes”

The first variation from vibes, “Yes,” is a version I am far more proud of, and contains the more elite members of “vibes” that deserved their own playlist. In “Yes” lies my most favorite vibey songs, particularly “Crash My Car” by COIN, “July” by Noah Cyrus, “Cigarette Daydreams” by Cage The Elephant, and “Surround Me” by LÉON. This playlist serves me best for getting ready, a calm drive, and is a high contender for my walk to the bus stop in the mornings. Most good, vibey songs that I hear nowadays get split up between “vibes” and “yes,” so spots are limited. 

“Chill Rap”

As the name oh-so-obviously suggests, “chill rap” is meant to sort through some of the songs from every rap song i’ve ever heard, housing more relaxed rap songs. This playlist houses “Mood Swings” by Pop Smoke, “Can’t Say” by Travis Scott, and “Work Out” by J.Cole. This also is often played while I am getting ready to go out, or going on a drive at night. Honorable mentions on this playlist also include “Pretty Little Fears” by 6LACK, “Pink Skies” by Wiley from Atlanta, and “Money Trees” by Kendrick Lamar. 

The following playlists are not played as often and contain very few songs. I usually add to these playlists in times of extreme boredom, or they serve as places for songs to go when they get played and I realize that they are in a playlist where they don’t belong. I also have playlists that serve as memories, and the songs on them transport me to a certain year or season of life.

Throwbacks & 2017 

Obviously, these are for throwback songs, but I genuinely do not remember the last time I played either of these playlists. These serve more as a placeholder for me to be able to at least say that I have a throwback playlist. Going through them now, I could use them as a source of inspiration and add some of these songs to my more-used playlists. Playing these would probably transport me back to middle school, which I am not sure is a time I want to relive. Honorable song mentions here include “Teenage Dream” by Katy Perry, “DJ Got Us Fallin’ In Love” by USHER, and “Some Nights” by fun. 

White People Music

This title pokes fun at my dual citizenship and nationality, as I am a white Latina who cannot stand a lot of the songs on this playlist. While I do not resonate with or have a strong connection with a lot of these songs, deep down I feel like I should, so I naturally have a playlist devoted to them. My most hated song, “Mr. Brightside” by The Killers, does hold a spot here, yet is surrounded by more tolerable hits such as Rick Springfield’s “Jessie’s Girl,” Billy Joel’s “Piano Man,” and Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’.” No shade to these well-respected songs and artists, this playlist mainly served as a way for me to learn the words to these songs that I had no idea about growing up in a Latin household, so that I could sing them at school dances. 

The rest of my playlists are very much works in progress, and this article served as not only a reminder for myself to work on them but also as a plug for my Spotify! Add me @anaisclinch :)

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Anais Clinch

U Mass Amherst '24

Anais is a senior honors psychology major and sociology minor at UMass.