This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I’m sure you’ve all heard the term “Hot Girl Summer” before. It was first coined by rapper Megan Thee Stallion, who often exclaims “real hot girl sh*t!” This exclamation has now become her main catchphrase and brand. In fact, she just recently had the term trademarked in January of 2022. The term has expanded to include the action of having a “Hot Girl Summer.” Since the term has become so widespread, the true meaning of it isn’t really as well known. Shortly after the release of Cash Sh*t in 2019, Megan tweeted about the term and what she thinks it means to be a “Hot Girl.” She states that having a Hot Girl Summer is all about living your best life and becoming the best version of yourself. Many people have just decided that the term relates only to dating or being a sexually active single woman, but Megan assures us that this is not the case. Anyone can have a Hot Girl Summer, regardless of their relationship status. I plan on having one myself, and in this article, I will tell you what my plans are and how you can have a Hot Girl Summer too!

the mindset

Possibly the most important aspect of the Hot Girl Summer is the mindset you hold. This mindset should be focused on being authentic and confident in yourself. You should be proactive in validating yourself and the choices you make throughout the summer. I personally will be focused a lot on wellness and making sure I am happy where I am at mentally. I want to do this by journaling and stepping up for myself by doing things such as setting boundaries with others. 

The fashion

The main goal here is to be wearing whatever makes you feel the best. Whether it’s what’s most comfortable or the most extra outfits you’ve ever put on, you should wear whatever you want to wear. Another key aspect of a Hot Girl Summer is body positivity. Not only should you be uplifting yourself, but you should try to uplift others as well. A goal of mine is to take more pictures in outfits that I really like. I feel like it will help me get a better sense of my personal style. 

the activities

Something else I expect to be a huge part of my Hot Girl Summer is food. I love going out to eat with friends and trying new restaurants, especially breakfast places. And of course, I am going to be documenting all of these activities. Even if you don’t post often on social media, I think it is really special to be able to look back and see all the fun things you did over the summer.

I am super excited to end this school year and step into my Hot Girl Summer with confidence, and I hope you are ready to do the same!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Brynn Geary

U Mass Amherst '24

Brynn is a senior and a communication and sociology major at UMass Amherst. Aside from writing, Brynn spends most of her time dancing, going to concerts and searching for the perfect iced oat milk latte.