My Favorite TV Episodes to Get Me in the Fall Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

With fall all around us, the best way to get in the mood is by watching themed TV episodes! The nostalgic feeling of turning on a fall-themed episode from your favorite show is one that can rarely be beat. Below are some of my favorite episodes to watch to get me in the mood, ranging from shows that came out in 2009 to shows that came out just last year.

“Greg Pikitis” Parks and Recreation, Season 2, Episode 7

We learn that Leslie has been in a longstanding battle with teenager Greg Pikitis, who gets away with a huge vandalization prank every Halloween, and this year she’s determined to expose him. Meanwhile, Ann attempts to throw a killer Halloween party. This is one of my favorite episodes to rewatch this time of year, as the personalities of all the characters really shine through and it’s fun to see the antics they get themselves into.

“The Sue Sylvester Shuffle” Glee, Season 2, Episode 11

Sure, this episode may appear after the Christmas episode, but it still centers around high school football, which is essential to a fall-themed TV episode. The McKinley High football team and glee club kids are thrown together to try to find some common ground, but the plan doesn’t exactly go the way Coach Beiste and Mr. Shue would like. By the end of the episode, the glee club and football team are in full zombie makeup dancing and singing Michael Jackson’s “Thriller.” It is truly a sight to see, and what better way to get excited for fall than that?

“Chapter One: MADMAX” Stranger Things, Season 2, Episode 1

As Hawkins gets ready for Halloween, the boys discover that Maxine has taken the #1 spot on their favorite arcade game. Stranger Things has become a staple in getting me excited for fall and Halloween, and the kickoff of the second season does not disappoint. The air of mystery throughout the episode as well as the boys being excited for fall is something that connects everyone back to their middle school selves.

“Paranormal Parentage” Community, Season 4, Episode 2

Community is a wild ride of a show, and this episode doesn’t disappoint in keeping with the running theme. The gang tries to find Pierce after he locks himself in his mansion, but they run into some trouble on the way. Paranormal events get in the way of them trying to figure their way around the mansion, all while they’re wearing Halloween costumes. This is such a fun episode to watch, especially since the show just gets more ridiculous in the later seasons!

“Candy Zombies” Abbott elementary, Season 2, Episode 6

No TV show list would be complete without Abbott Elementary, so I obviously had to include it in this one. With the combination of students getting a sugar high too early in the day, Janine reconsidering decisions in her personal life, and the personality of the teachers shining through their costumes, the only true outcome is pure mayhem. This show constantly hits every mark each episode, and this one is no exception!

There are so many other shows that I couldn’t list here, but these are my favorites! I know I’ll definitely be revisiting these classics for years — happy fall!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Keaira Ecklof

U Mass Amherst '25

Keaira Ecklof is a Junior majoring in English and she's excited to start her experience with HerCampus! She enjoys reading, watching movies, playing word games, and hanging with friends!