My Favorite Movies and Why You Should Watch Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you know me even a little, you probably know that I love movies. So, here are my current top picks for my favorite movies that you should check out!

Ferris Bueller’s day off

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off follows Ferris Bueller as he takes a “sick” day during the spring of his senior year of high school. This movie has some hilarious moments and is overall a fun watch. A popular, and my favorite, quote from the film is a motto that we should all live by: “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

clueless

Clueless, based on the book Emma by Jane Austen, follows protagonist Cher Horowitz and her life as a teenager living in Beverly Hills, California. This movie is charming and a brilliant adaptation that captures the spirit of California in the 1990s.

boogie nights

Boogie Nights follows the rise and fall of fictional pornstar Dirk Diggler in the 1970s and 1980s. The movie is excellently made and is my favorite film by director Paul Thomas Anderson. The cinematography is beautiful.

10 things I hate about you

In my opinion, 10 Things I Hate About You is the best romantic comedy ever made. The movie follows Kat Stratford as she is courted by a fellow classmate, Patrick Verona, who is being paid to date her. This movie is based on the Shakespeare play The Taming of the Shrew, but with a feminist twist.

superbad

Superbad is my favorite comedy and the movie that can always make me laugh no matter what mood I’m in. The movie follows two high school seniors who are trying to lose their virginity before they head off to college. Jonah Hill and Michael Cera are perfect in their respective roles as Seth and Evan. There are so many great one-liners and moments that will make you laugh out loud.

kill bill volume 1

As a lover of movies, I naturally enjoy Quentin Tarantino’s films. Kill Bill follows an assassin who survives an assassination attempt from her former team and vows to seek revenge on them. There is a bit of gore, as all Tarantino movies have, so be prepared for some violence in this action movie. But don’t let that scare you off, this movie is excellent.

American psycho

American Psycho follows the life and delusions of businessman Patrick Bateman. This movie has incredible commentary on the culture of men in the business world, especially regarding their treatment of women and their narcissism. 

the social network

The Social Network follows Mark Zuckerberg and the creation of Facebook and the lawsuits and controversies that surrounded it. The score for this movie is incredible and really sets the scene for what you’re watching. The overall story of how Facebook came to be is so compelling, even if it is dramatized. Plus, Andrew Garfield is in this movie!

My top movies are always changing because I am always discovering new movies that I fall in love with. But, these movies always remain in the conversation when I discuss my favorite movies. I hope you love these movies as much as I do! Happy watching!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Victoria Dodd

U Mass Amherst '22

Victoria is a student at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst with a major in communication. When she's not writing, you can find her listening to music, watching too many movies, or meditating. Victoria has a wide range of interests such as pop culture, film, music, history, politics, and health and wellness. You can follow her on instagram @flicksfromvic or @vic_dodd.