This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

With Fall 2020, we have seen a burst of new fashion trends and I have picked a few of my favorites to share with you all.

Disclaimer: These are trends I have observed from social media, and have no correlation with the actual luxury runway trends.

To start I would just like to write that when talking about these trends and why I love them, I mean this to apply to EVERYONE. By everyone, I mean all bodies in every shape and form because fashion has no one-size-fits-all! These trends are meant for everyone to enjoy and participate in because they look good on everyone who loves them. 

Fashion this fall has been all about chocolate browns, creams, patterns, layering, and leather – all of my favorite things! I never knew how much I could love chocolate brown until I saw it in every variation possible. 

woman standing in street
Photo by Juan Ordonez from Unsplash
My top favorite trend, by far, is leather pants. From brown to black, leather pants are currently all the rage on my Instagram and Pinterest feeds, and I am eating it up! To be specific, I mean to say leather trousers or straight-legged pants, rather than leggings or skinny-legged variations. The straight-legged version of these leather pants has such a classy and sexy look that hugs everyone’s body in just the right places. If you’re like me, with little to no curves, these trousers are the perfect fit because of the shape they give you, and if you already have a curvier figure then these will just further accentuate that in the best way. My go-to color choice would have to be chocolate brown because it suits fall and is a bit more unique than the classic black leather, but both are equally stunning. These are also extremely versatile, meaning you can dress them down for a more casual, on-the-go look or pair them with heels for a night on the town. I have been hunting the internet for the perfect pair and have found some great prospects on sites like Motel Rocks, Nasty Gal, and House of CB. Grab them while you still can!

women in black leather trench coat
Photo by Artem Ivanchencko from Unsplash
Next up is jackets, specifically trench coats. From the classic cargo trench to the newer leather trenches hitting the streets, trench coats are in! Personally, I am living for the leather design, and I think it gives you an extremely slick and professional look. While offering a sultriness with the leather fabric, it still maintains a balance between style and comfort by keeping you warm on cold winter days. Just like the leather pants, you can dress the coat up or down. By pairing it with an oversized sweatshirt, leggings, and boots, you have an easy, on-the-go look for the day. Switching into night, you can opt for a sexier look with a dress and heels and show some leg while still being wrapped up tight in your trench coat. You can find your new favorite trench at ASOS, where they offer a large variety of all different styles!

girl sitting in chair
Photo by Joanna Nix-Walkup from Unsplash
Fall and the upcoming winter season are all about boots, boots, and more boots. Black boots – from short to tall, to heel to flat – are the must-haves of the season, and I can totally see why. They are the perfect addition to every outfit to add a little spice and style to amp up a simplistic look. I would simply not know what to do without my Doc Martens because they just have this ability to make every outfit look more put together and fashion-forward. I am also loving the tall, black heeled boots that offer a more luxurious feel to the typical trend, and are also versatile for changing looks from day to night. Every girl and guy needs at least one pair of (affordable) boots in their wardrobe for the winter seasons, and you can find great pairs on sites like NastyGal and ASOS.

In the realm of patterns, I have never been a huge fan. I find them gimmicky in a cringy way that always distorts a person’s figure and clashes with the rest of the fit. However, houndstooth has made me seriously rethink all my life decisions. The pattern looks great on all bodies who feel confident in, and trust me when I say it looks bomb on everyone because of its preppy and professional vibe. I am loving the different combinations of outfits I have seen people wearing houndstooth with, from sweater vests to pantsuits and blazers, the pattern has become quite the commodity. It is definitely the pattern of the season, and I am here for it!

woman wearing jacket covering face
Photo by Ethan Haddox from Unsplash
Blazers have stayed a hot piece in 2020, and this still rings true in fall. Whether you are wearing them over a sweatshirt, with jeans, or over a slim dress, blazers provide a tasteful touch. Not only this, but you can also choose from cropped or oversized, colorful or neutral-toned, color-blocked or patterned, depending on the look you desire. They offer a bit of a more masculine and edgier style, but subsequently, they can turn your look from being a hot mess to just hot, period. 

three girls wearing jeans
Photo by Ali Pazani from Unsplash
Say goodbye to skinny jeans and hello to baggy jeans this fall! Baggy jeans, popular in the 90s and early 2000s, are making a huge comeback with young girls this year. The go-to outfit I have seen paired with these is a tight, cropped cami and some sneakers of your choosing. I am in favor of high-waisted ones for comfort reasons and for the colder weather coming along, but pick whatever floats your fashion boat. I think baggier jeans are flattering on all bodies because they have their own shape and are more fashion-focused than body shape-based ones. I would recommend finding a good pair at a local thrift store because they have endless supplies for your baggy wet dreams!

Overall, wear whatever the heck you want and feel most confident in because that’s what looks best on you!

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst