My Experience Writing for Her Campus Umass Amherst

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Writing for Her Campus UMass Amherst has been one of the best decisions I have made through out my college career. Starting up with the company the beginning of my junior year, I figured writing for them would be just for fun. Little did I know it was going to sculpt a path for my future. When I entered UMass, all I wanted to do was be a teacher after I graduate. I loved working with kids. As I began my studies as an education minor however, I found education was not for me. It lacked something I needed to succeed. I didn’t realize what it was until I started writing, but passion was missing.

When I started writing for Her Campus UMass Amherst I knew immediately that journalism was where I needed to be. For the first time working did not seem like a chore, but a fun activity. Her Campus gave me the freedom to write what I wanted. If I was inspired by a song, movie, fashion crazy, fitness routine or so on, I was able to write about it bringing it to the attention of my readers. Because of this, I felt as if my fingers were moving on the keys faster then my brain was functioning.

This experience was extra special to me because unlike other internships where I worked for a few months then left, I made my way up to the top. WIth Her Campus I was able to grow so much as a journalist becuase my repsonsibilites grew as I did. Starting off as a contributing writing and ending as a co-editor-in-chief, I can say with full confidence my writing and understanding of digital media would be no where near where it is now without Her Campus. 

Her Campus has changed my life for the better. Without it, who knows where I would be, or, if I would even have found my calling. 

With that said, I encourage all aspiring writers to take part in this amazing experience.