This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Looking for something to listen to while you walk to class, fold your laundry, or drive home? Here are my recent go-to podcasts for entertainment, news, and advice. 

1. The Daily

My favorite news-related podcast is The Daily from The New York Times. Hosted by Michael Barbaro, featuring journalists and other experts, this podcast talks about all the big stories happening all over the world. Uploading a 20-minute episode every weekday morning, they keep you updated on the most important events related to politics, economics, media, international relations, Covid-19 updates, etc. As someone who finds it hard to keep up to date with the news all the time, I find that The Daily helps me to stay somewhat informed on the big stuff.

2. Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard

For entertainment-related content, I recently began listening to Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard. Dax Shepard is an actor, writer, comedian, and now a podcast host. As he and his co-host, Monica Padman, interview celebrities in and outside of the media industry about their experiences, struggles, and growth, we get to hear honest conversations with people we’ve seen play different roles and characters. Shepherd’s wife, Kristen Bell and Monica Padman also produced a 10 episode limited series podcast called, We Are Supported By. In these episodes, the two women interview a significant woman who has cracked the glass ceiling. Getting to hear inspiring stories from women like Gloria Steinem and Malala Yousafzai has been quite eye-opening. If you’re interested in hearing stories from all kinds of incredible people, I highly recommend giving this podcast a listen. 

3. Anything Goes

Lastly, if you like Emma Chamberlain’s honest personality and random thoughts, you will love her podcast, Anything Goes. Uploading an hour-long episode every Thursday, she talks about anything and everything. Her episodes are like a brain dump, as she shares her thoughts and experiences on topics around identity, friendships and relationships, fashion, good and bad habits, etc. A lot of the stuff she talks about is relevant and relatable and her humorous and honest attitude makes for a great and entertaining listen

Podcasts are a great way to mindlessly absorb new information and ideas. People have interesting things to say and you almost always learn something new. 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Riti Jain

U Mass Amherst '24

Riti is a senior at UMass Amherst majoring in Economics and Communication. She has a passion for the arts, media, culture, and politics. When she's not writing for Her Campus or studying for classes, you can find her dancing, taking photos, or reading the other amazing Her Campus articles.