My Comfort Fall Media: Albums, Shows, & Movies To Get You in The Autumnal Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Autumn is here, and sweater weather is in full force. Temperatures are dropping, and the days are only growing shorter. As the chilly weather rolls in, our innate desire to hibernate is undeniable. Getting as cozy as possible seems to be humanity’s collective response as we inevitably transition to the season’s crisp, cool demeanor.

The pure bliss associated with cuddling up on the couch, whilst draped in a fuzzy blanket is a luxury of the fall season. Lighting seasonally relevant candles and consuming pumpkin-flavored treats are novelties that never wear off every time autumn arrives. The fall ambiance is unlike any other. Yet, a cozy evening at home is incomplete without these highly discernable forms of media that capture the season’s vibe unlike any other.

The following albums, shows, and movies all convey autumnal energy that aligns with the spirit of the harvest season. Feel free to mix and match these different forms of media to achieve peak fall vibes during your next cozy night in.

ALBUMS

While the pumpkin bread is baking, the soup is stewing, or Pillsbury dough cookies are cooling, you need to have a soundtrack. These three albums capture the essence of fall and the somewhat mournful feeling that can come along with it.

Ceremonials by Florence + The Machine: Florence Welch never fails to provide the people with witchy hymns. Songs such as “No Light, No Light,” “Never Let Me Go,” “Only If For A Night,” and “Breaking Down” convey all the feelings evoked by a sunset at 4 p.m.

Harry Styles by Harry Styles: Harry Style’s debut album conveys a certain nostalgia associated with the chilly gusts of a fall day. Tracks such as “Sweet Creature,” “Meet Me in the Hallway,” “Ever Since New York,” and “Sign of the Times” all embody autumn and its multifaceted emotions.

Red (Taylor’s Version) by Taylor Swift: Taylor Swift always makes the autumnal season iconic. Her songs “Nothing New (Taylor’s Version),” “I Bet You Think About Me (Taylor’s Version),” “Begin Again (Taylor’s Version),” and of course “All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version)” discern fall as a period of transition and growth.

SHOWs

We all need a TV show to binge during certain seasons of life — fall is definitely one of them. Having a consistent show to rely on as the leaves change brings a sense of stability and comfort. 

Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

Sabrina The Teenage Witch: Sabrina, Aunt Zelda, Aunt Hilda, and Salem the magical talking cat are always up to supernatural antics that are bound to have you in the mood for Halloween. 

Gilmore Girls: Donning their cardigans and cradling their coffees, Lorelei and Rory Gilmore make Stars Hollow feel like a familiar, cozy escape from reality. The series emits a sense of nostalgia that is perfectly matched by the fall.

The Great British Bake-Off: The epitome of a comfort show, this series is perfect to switch on as you cozy up with your own sweet treats. 

MOVIES

Movies are the pinnacle of a fall evening. When the nights are long, you need some long-form media to pass the time.

Halloweentown: This Halloween classic is the pinnacle of spooky comfort movies. Pairing this movie with some Halloween-themed pajamas and snacks is sure to evoke a wave of nostalgia.

Mean Girls: “It’s October 3.” This might not be the typical fall movie, yet the iconic date makes it a staple of the season.

Dead Poets Society: With its New England aesthetic and heart-wrenching message, this movie is a reminder to seize the day in every season of life.

There are endless albums, shows, and movies that capture the magic of autumn. Yet, these specific forms of media are guaranteed to get you amped up for the fall and settled in for a comfortable evening under your coziest blanket with your sweetest treat. They pair perfectly with apple cider donuts!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Nora Donovan

U Mass Amherst '23

Nora is a senior majoring in Communication and Sociology, with a minor in Business. She is passionate about art, music, writing, and working out.