My Campus Celeb: Giddens Rateau

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

An influential musician to the student body, Giddens raps about positive aspects of life and music. He wants his lyrics to resonate with his fans, connecting with them, their goals and ambitions.

We caught up with Giddens to talk about his music, lyrics, and love for hip hop.

1. What made you want to make music?
I really don’t know what made me want to make music. It’s just something that I’ve always done. I remember being young and singing every chance I could while dancing non stop. At this point in my life, it’s just natural. The same way you naturally breathe oxygen is the same way I naturally make music. Music “is” my oxygen.

?2. How would you describe your sound?
My sound is clean and crisp. I like solid drums. I like my snares very defined and clear. I’m all about basic hi-hat patterns. Nowadays they have strange ones in mainstream music that I don’t understand. I like some synthesizers, but I prefer “real” instruments. I do make all my music on software but they come with real instrument sounds. I’m a neat freak when it comes to producing tracks. In terms of lyrics, the music tells me what to say. If the track sounds like it would be played on a beautiful day, I’ll write a song called “Beautiful Day.”

3. what artists influence your sound?
Dan Black definitely influences my sound. Our music doesn’t sound alike, but if you look at how he makes his music and how I make mine, it’s the same exact idea. Dan Black is my favorite singer and I was lucky enough to meet him in Boston in the summer of 2009.

4. what message or theme would you say your music tends to preach?
No matter what my song is about, it will be positive. I could be rapping about how fine a girl is, it will be positive lyrics and messages. I could be rapping about how sad I am, and it will have a strong silver lining in that dark cloud type song with a positive moral to my story. I’ll write songs about anything and it will have very little or no cuss words at all and no negative messages. My music is FEEL GOOD MUSIC !!! Uplifting ! I want you to feel it and enjoy it as much as I do.

5. Would you describe yourself as a positive musician? (for example, would you describe your music as having a positive message?)
Yes. I consider myself a positive musician.

6. What advise would you give inspiring musicians?
My advice to aspiring musicians: BE PROFESSIONAL. If you don’t take yourself seriously, nobody will. Work hard. Thing big. Don’t ever listen to somebody telling you what you can and can’t do because they don’t know anything. Attack every studio session, every live performance, every photo shoot, every video shoot and every interview with passion and love for music. If you don’t love it, don’t even bother.

Watch Girl Who Glows by Capital G, aka Giddens.