My Body, My Health: Late night snacking that won’t derail your diet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.
We’ve heard it all before: Don’t eat after 9:00 pm! No snacks after dinner! As you may or may not have already realized, these diet “rules” are unrealistic, untruthful, and unreasonable for a college girl who stays up well into the late night hours.

When it comes to weight loss, the most important thing is taking in less calories than your body requires to maintain itself. THAT’S how you lose weight.

BUT don’t get the wrong idea here!  Eating junk food at any time of the day can make you gain weight. Also, research shows that eating junk food later at night can actually make you gain more weight than eating junk food while your active during the day.

That being said, if you are one who likes to (or needs to) eat at night. HAVE NO FEAR. Just follow these two simple rules and revamp your late night snacks and snacking habits so they’re  healthy and will fit in with your spring weight loss goals!

1. Think- is late night snacking more of a habit for you than an actual need? Maybe you tend to get bored or stressed at night. So, try thinking about why you’re really getting those late night munchies. Maybe a stick of gum or a glass of water is all your body actually is craving.
  1. Calories- Try to keep your late night snacking to no more than 150 calories. That is enough to keep you satisfied until morning without overdoing it. If you’ve been eating particularly less or more than usual that day, you can adjust this number accordingly. Just remember: It’s your body. Listen to what it’s trying to tell you!

WHAT TO CHOOSE: Picking your snack can be hard. Don’t kid yourself, late night at Berkshire and delivery pizza to your door are hard temptations to ignore. Try some of the choices on this list  below. They are low calorie, wholesome snacks to nosh on during the PM!

• 1 small apple
  • 1 small orange
  • 1 small banana
  • 1 100-calorie pack
  • 18 almonds
  • 25 pistachios
  • 2 small squares of dark chocolate
  • 1 special K bar
  • 1 dole fruit cup
  • 1 serving of instant pudding
  • DESSERT GUM is also a great alternative to mindless munching, strawberry cheese cake anyone?

So, next time those night cravings overcome you as your cramming for that Chemistry test, reach for a smaller snack that will fill you up with nutrition…not with guilt!

Caroline Bagby is a senior at the University of Massachusetts Amherst majoring in Journalism and minoring in Spanish. She spent her summer interning at Kiss FM for Boston's #1 hit radio show and getting owned by the restaurant where she waited tables. She is now double interning for Her Campus and for ABC40 in Springfield, MA where she is working as a broadcast news intern. Caroline hopes to one day make a name for herself in the production industry. She enjoys spending the money she doesn't have, bubbletinis, watching movies, writing, and surrounding herself with friends and family.