Life > Experiences

My 5 Favorite Fall Activities to Do Around Western Massachusetts

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

With the leaves changing color and temperatures dropping, fall is in full swing here in Western Massachusetts! Fall has always been my favorite season, and there are so many fall-related things that I’ve loved doing throughout my life. These are my top five favorite fall activities to do this season in and around Amherst, all of which are perfect to do by yourself or with friends! Some of these can be accessed by walking or bus, and some do require a car if you or a friend have one. 

Attend a farmers market!

A farmer’s market is the perfect fall activity to get you in the spirit of the season if you’re always busy but still want to do something fall-related. Without it taking up too much time out of your day, going to a market allows you to enjoy the sights of fall, support small and local businesses, and pick up some of your favorite fall treats! My personal favorite is the Amherst Farmers Market, which is located right downtown and is a quick walk or bus ride from campus. It’s the perfect spot to go alone or with friends. Each week, they have beautiful flowers, fresh fruit, upcycled fall fashion items, and so much more!

Visit a corn maze!

Going to a corn maze with friends was a staple activity in the fall for me growing up, so being able to go to Mike’s Maze in Sunderland with friends here is a super fun way of continuing one of my favorite fall traditions while going to school away from home. For $10-$16 depending on the day you attend (and with a student discount using your UCard), you get access to the unbelievable eight-acre corn maze, petting zoo, and so much more! For an additional price you can also dine at their café, which serves delicious farm-fresh food. 

Visit the Montague Book Mill!

Located right in Montague, MA, the Montague Book Mill is the perfect place to spend a few hours in the fall. They have an endless supply of used books for great prices, as well as many little nooks to sit and read or study. The attached coffee shop, The Lady Killigrew Cafe, is the perfect spot to grab a drink and do some work. Outside, there are many seats to sit and enjoy the sights of the season. Throughout the whole establishment you’re able to hear the sounds of the Sawmill River, which is the perfect white noise for any activity!

Hiking!

Hiking is another great fall activity that you can do alone or with friends. There are many mountains in this region of the state, all of which are great for different levels of hikers. Mount Sugarloaf is a great mountain for both beginners and experienced hikers, with five different trails that all have stunning views when you reach the top. The hike is beautiful year-round, but going in the fall gives you a beautiful view of the leaves changing in the Pioneer Valley when you reach the peak!

A day trip up to vermont!

This activity requires the most distance and driving, but it is by far my favorite activity to do! Although it’s technically not in Western Massachusetts, you can definitely stop for breakfast in the area at any local diner or bakery. While in Vermont, visiting the Bennington Tower in Bennington, VT gives you stunning views of the region and the leaves changing from all perspectives. Although there is a small fee (under $10), the money goes towards preservation of the tower and gives you unlimited time up at the top. A great spot to walk around is Wilmington, VT, which has a ton of little shops and walking trails, as well as great restaurants. Make sure to spend time getting cider donuts from a market on your way back home!

Western Massachusetts has has plenty to offer in the fall season, and there truly is something for everyone to do. Whether it’s 20 minutes or a full day, there is an activity for everyone in order to enjoy fall!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!  

Priya Shah

U Mass Amherst '26

Priya Shah is junior at UMass Amherst, majoring in Legal Studies and Psychology. She is excited to be writing for Her Campus this semester! She loves hockey, fashion, and music.