Mouth-Watering Smoothies: Benefits, How to Make, and Where to Find

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

When walking through the gym or the Campus Center, I often find it very difficult to not purchase a smoothie from Freshens. With the multiple varieties Freshens provides and how delicious they taste, why not

Smoothies provide multiple benefits as a part of a daily diet, as long as the right ingredients are added (yes, that means ice cream and chocolate as ingredients do not create a healthy smoothie). Fruit smoothies contain a large variety of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that are essential for healthy living. Incorporating vegetables such as kale into a smoothie adds additional necessary nutrients (especially if you’re not a huge vegetable eater!). Mixing in protein powder into the smoothie will provide even more benefits for your health, because proteins are so essential for the body.

With all of the known benefits from drinking smoothies, how can you build the perfect smoothie?

In order for proper smoothie blending, a liquid base is necessary. This can come from:

• Milk
  • Yogurt (try Greek yogurt for the extra protein!)
  • Water
  • Juices (such as orange juice)

Next, add fruits and/or vegetables. The fruits may be fresh or frozen – both will provide the same amount of benefits. Here are a couple of suggestions (keep in mind these are just a sampling of fruits that may be added!):

• Strawberries
  • Bananas
  • Blueberries
  • Raspberries
  • Mangoes
  • Peaches
  • Kiwi

For additional health benefits, try adding vegetables such as kale or spinach which have barely noticeable tastes and tremendous health effects (they both have high levels of iron and are packed with antioxidants).

As an optional choice, ingredients such as protein powder or flaxseed may also be added to the smoothie.

Finally, add ice.

Now with all of the ingredients placed in the blender, press the blending option. Use judgment for thickness of the smoothie and enjoy!

If you do not have a blender, check out Freshens on campus, and off campus check out LimeRed Teahouse in Amherst, or Haymarket Café in Northampton.

Emily Jette

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst