diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Makeup: Expectations vs. Reality (with Tips)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Question for all you Collegiettes: have you ever just failed at putting on makeup?

You’re getting ready to go out when a makeup disaster happens. Or you see a cool makeup look on Pinterest, try to recreate it, just to see it come out looking like costume makeup. 

If you can relate to any of the above situations, you will know what I’m talking about when it comes to these expectations and the realities.

1.) The Bold Lip.

Expectations:

Reality:

To avoid messy lipstick make sure you first outline your lips using a similar shade lip liner. After applying lipstick, fold a piece of tissue and blot the excess.

2.) Winged Eyeliner

Expectations:

Reality:

Trying to keep a steady hand while using liquid eyeliner is hard! Try using a felt tip marker liner instead of a brush. When applying you can also “connect the dots” by dotting along your eyelid and then connecting them with short strokes to prevent eyeliner mishaps.

3.) Nail Art

Expectations: 

Reality:

As busy Collegiettes we rarely have the time or the money to get our nails done, so we opt for DIY nail art. However, nail art definitely takes a lot of time, skill, and effort. While practice makes perfect, you can always check out Sally Hansen Salon Effects Nail Strips.

4.) Filling in your eyebrows

Expectations:

Reality:

We’re not all blessed with perfect brows like Cara (which is very sad), but we sure can draw them in! Opt for an eyebrow pencil that is one or two shades lighter than your hair (if you have darker hair) and opt for a pencil that is one or two shades darker (if you have light hair). Here’s a video from our girl Michelle on Youtube teaching us how to fill in our brows perfectly.

5.) Mascara

Expectations:

Reality:

If you have trouble keeping mascara on just your eyelashes, try layering your mascara. Build your lashes up to the desired volume with your regular mascara. Before that coat dries, take a waterproof mascara and lightly coat your lashes.  The waterproof formula won’t stick to your actual lashes (which makes the removal process easier). However, it will help your mascara stay on your lashes throughout the entire day. 

Why can’t putting on makeup be easy as this?

And why can’t we wake up looking like Beyonce?

But all that hard work will pay off.

May all your lines be even and your lashes curled!

Just remember you’re beautiful no matter what!

Photos: 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11

Jessica Chien

U Mass Amherst

Jessica is currently a Sophomore at UMass Amherst. She is a studio arts major who enjoys drawing, drinking coffee and having dance parties in her dorm room. She doesn't like to be rushed when it comes to eating and she listens to her favorite song on repeat when she's walking to class.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst