Gossip Girl Blair Waldorf Shopping?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Gossip Girl Blair Waldorf Shopping?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
The CW
Style > Fashion

Make Your Pinterest Board a Reality: 5 Fashion Must-Haves for Winter

Updated Published

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It’s no secret why Lorelai Gilmore can’t get enough of east coast winters … “the clothes are great.” The first snowfall of the season is more exciting than Christmas morning for us fashion girlies. I mean, there’s nothing like opening your closet to hangers filled with coats, sweaters, and scarves and sliding on a fuzzy pair of Uggs before running out for your morning coffee. However, it’s understandable that not all of us get excited about freezing temperatures and scraping off our cars, so I’m here to get you a liiittttlllee more excited by suggesting five closet staples for the snowy season.  

First and foremost, you can’t brave the elements without a good coat. Coats don’t have to be something you dread throwing on top of a red-carpet worthy outfit — they can actually be part of the look. Entrepreneur-socialites Hailey Bieber and Kylie Jenner are blueprints for using outerwear as statement pieces, and we can predict a lot of this year’s winter fashion trends from their stylistic decisions. Jenner gravitates more towards dark-toned leather trenches. Jenner’s newest business venture is Khy, a clothing brand named after the beauty mogul’s longtime nickname. The brand’s first collection includes several coats, all of which are made of leather. Nothing in the collection exceeds $200, so both the cropped bomber and trench will be more accessible for us non-A-listers. On the other hand, Bieber is often spotted wearing more Princess Diana inspired jackets. Think wool, tweed, and structure. Clothing monopolies Zara and NA-KD have several Bieber-esque trench coats available for purchase online, some long and some cropped, all of which are sure to get you as excited for winter as Lorelai Gilmore is. 

Moving on: shoes. No outfit is complete without a fun shoe. Pointed-toe heels and boots are all the rage and will live in your wardrobe until your daughter steals them three decades from now (sorry, Mom). These kitten heel pointed toe boots by Impo come in a multitude of seasonal colors and will quickly become your go-to shoe for both work events and grabbing drinks with the girls. I’ve had them for a year now and am about to snag my second pair; they truly are the world’s most comfortable heeled boot. Now who would I be if I didn’t let you all know that red is the color of the season? Wearing a red heel is an easy way to incorporate some boldness into more muted outfits. European retailer Mango has a wide selection of red heels; specifically, these sultry merlot kitten heels are to die for and would pair well with an oversized denim jacket. Perfect for a date night look. 

This next must-have might seem like an irrelevant detail to most but can elevate any grocery store outfit in a Sofia Richie-like fashion — a belt. For the fall, I’d typically recommend a cognac-colored belt, but I’m confident that black is going to be all the rage during the 2023-24 cold season. A black belt with a silver or gold metal buckle compliments dark denim and a white long sleeve effortlessly. You can find the accessory at nearly any department store, but the oval buckle on this Mango belt especially catches my eye.

Now in my opinion, manicures are a huge part of making an outfit a look. I hate to disappoint all the nail-biting girls out there, but tips are out, and natural nails are in. If your nails are stubs like mine, tell your nail technician to add a natural “squoval” tip and it should achieve the same effect. Nude and deep red are the go-to colors for the holiday season. Check out Essie’s Berry Naughty and Essie’s Mademoiselle next time you go to your local nail salon. I don’t make the rules, but I heard wrapping presents is more fun with painted nails.

I saved the best for last. If you opened my closet, a dozen purses would escape its doors. A statement purse seals the deal and brings all of the outfit’s elements together. When looking for a purse this winter, look for structure. There’s something about the body of a bag that can give it an expensive look. Purses are the perfect opportunity for you to experiment with shapes and sizes and make your outfit stand out. I have to give Zara props for combining luxury with affordability, and this purse is a perfect example of this intersection. 

My biggest tip for the season is to take a page out of Lorelai Gilmore’s book. Embrace the snow, spend some time with family, and dress to impress.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Kiley Sullivan

U Mass Amherst '24

Kiley Sullivan is a senior journalism major with a minor in political science and a concentration in public relations. She is currently a celebrity and influencer marketing associate at Talent Resources. In her free time, she loves spending time with her dog, going to the beach, and binge watching Criminal Minds.