This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It’s common knowledge that putting in effort to maintain curly locks isn’t always easy. But I’ll let you in on a little secret — it’s totally worth it. Here’s my list of tried-and-true tricks you can try to fully embrace your natural hair.

Know what kind of curls you have.

Whether you have defined, tighter curls or loose beachy waves, there’s a product out there for you — it’s just a matter of finding it! Though curly hair products are often expensive, it’s worth it in the end to have the right definition so that your curls look their best. Finding the right product will help you determine what works best on your type of curls. 

Find the right products.

I have found many products useful for silky and defined curls. DevaCurl One Condition, applied both in the shower and afterwards, will leave your hair soft to the touch and keep your curls bouncy. Gels often weigh the curls down, making them less defined so I like this product because it does the exact opposite to create the perfect look. If you’re looking for a lighter gel, Super Fixer by Matrix does the trick by providing both definition and a firmer curl that holds all day. For other products alternative to DevaCurl, try Coconut Curls by Ogx or Intense Curl Cream Moroccan Oil if you’re looking for a solution to frizz and still want to maintain softer feeling curls. 

Use more conditioner than shampoo.

With most hair types, it’s best to refrain from shampooing your hair every day in order to let the natural oils in your hair set in. This works especially well for people with curly hair, since too much shampoo can strip away the important natural oils. Try using conditioner even on days you do need to wash your hair, whether it’s after a hard workout at the gym or just time to refresh the bounce in your curls. Conditioner of any brand works to hydrate your hair and it leaves the curls smooth and soft.

Dry curls with a cotton t-shirt.

One of the best pieces of advice I was given by another friend of mine with curly hair: dry your hair after the shower with a cotton t-shirt instead of a normal towel. I always thought this sounded silly, but it works so much better than a towel! Once you start using a cotton t-shirt, you will never go back. You’ll notice an immediate difference in the way your curls are shaped. On the days I use a towel instead, my curls are way less defined than normal.

Be patient with the drying process.

If you’re on a collegiette budget, the price of a curl diffuser is definitely not worth it. Curly hair often takes a long time to dry, and an ever longer time to define your curls. The best approach is to be patient while your hair is drying, using a cotton t-shirt now and then until your hair is done drying. The final look will be worth the wait! 

Don’t brush out your hair.

Many curly-haired folk know this tip already, but brushing your hair out while it’s dry is a big no-no. It often leads to damaging your ends faster than normal and separating your curls to create a frizzy look. Instead of a brush, try using a comb. You could just ditch both of them and comb your hair with your fingers while it’s wet in the shower after applying conditioner. Some people never understood how I wouldn’t brush my hair (though it depends on your curl type), and it’s often better not to.

Images: 1, 2

Lyla Hyman

U Mass Amherst '21

Lyla is a senior at UMass Amherst. She is studying both Communication and Journalism and is currently a Senior Editor, Multimedia Director, and Twitter Coordinator for HC at UMass Amherst. When she is not busy working, she spends her time writing, singing, reading new books, walking outside, and making matcha lattes. She was born and raised in Boston, MA.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst