This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Like most preteens, the desire to be trendy was always on my mind. When I wanted Abercrombie sweatshirts like all the other girls, my mom’s closet provided me with unique alternatives. When I wanted to go preppy, I had my mom’s vintage Lilly Pulitzer to wear. When I woke up bored with my choices and lack of style, you provided me with new ideas and comfort. 

When I think about the closet, its variety is what makes it so special. Anything ranging from vintage L.L.Bean, Polo, J. Crew, and Esprit, to band tees that were actually purchased at a show, the vibe is simply timeless. Whether it be decades past or up to date style, the closet seems to have everything. 

You could watch any movie or TV show from any time period and feel a connection with the clothing on-screen and in my mom’s closet. It could be a Kate Hudson outfit from “Almost Famous,” or a bright color palette from “Moonrise Kingdom.” 

Original Illustration in Canva for Her Campus Media

The spunky patterns and designs that fill the closet are a reflection of my mom and her brilliant ability to find a cool outfit for any occasion. When I think about the clothes I wear, I think about the times my mom wore them in the past. 

When I got to UMass and wore her baby blue J.Crew sweater while walking across Garber Field, I couldn’t help but think that this wasn’t the first time the sweater saw this area. Or when I wore my long sleeve UMass black T-shirt that certainly wasn’t purchased online like it could be now, it was nonetheless worn on the same campus. Whether it was Pierpont or John Adams, or listening to “The Cure” on a Walkman or an iPhone, the clothing worn by my mom and I saw a lot of UMass.

Celina Timmerman-Mom Jeans Hanging
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus

When I think of my mom’s closet, I think of my mom as a kid. Trying on her mom’s Jackie Kennedy-inspired outfits and “Mad Men-esque clothing, wishing one day this tradition would be carried down to her children. The concept of knowing that whatever special piece or staple item was worn one day could eventually be worn by someone else was an idea my mom enjoyed. 

The timeless aspect of clothing, combined with the uproar of thrifting among college students allowed me to recognize and appreciate the free thrifting experience I get in my mom’s closet. For instance, the fun boots or suede heels that always came in handy for high school dances, or the funky jackets that always completed any last-minute Halloween costume. The variety of looks my mom could pull off that caught the attention of my friends, encouraged me to expand my boring middle school style. 

The memories and meaning that my mom’s clothes hold bring a lot to each outfit. While we all continue to thrift, to find new looks, and bring back old trends, I will forever appreciate the 19 years of options my mom’s closet gave me.

Lulu Kesin

U Mass Amherst '23

Lulu is a senior double major in journalism and communications. Some of Lulu's passions include wearing patterned pants, dancing in the grocery store, watching coming of age movies and advocating for female equality in the sports industry.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst