This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It’s that time again: the Olympics! I can’t get over the fact that the 2010 Vancouver Olympic Games were 4 years ago. When I think of the Winter Olympics, I picture figure skating and skiing – turns out there are 15 events in these winter games! Let’s take a look at the lesser known events in this international competition.

1. Biathlon:This sport, first introduced to the Olympics in 1960, combines rifle shooting and cross-country skiing. There are individual races as well as relays. As with pretty much all races, the person who completes the race in the shortest amount of time is the winner. However, participants receive time penalties for each missed target.

2. Curling:The objective of curling is to get your team’s stone closer to the center of a circular target than the opposing team. Seems simple enough, right? Maybe not. The stone is made of granite and weighs 44 pounds! Team members must sweep the ice in front of the stone to create a slippery film of water and reduce friction.

3. Skeleton:Skeleton is basically Olympic sledding. However, unlike bobsled or luge, athletes lie face down with their heads facing forward. They steer the sled using special spikes on their shoes.

4. Ice Dancing:Ice dancing is a discipline within figure skating. The use of music with vocals as well as the importance of matching the rhythm and emotion of the music are the ways it differs from figure skating. There is also less focus on jumps, spins, etc.

5. Nordic Combined:This event combines ski jumping with cross-country skiing. Each athlete gets one chance to clear a jump from a large hill. Participants with the highest scores for distance and style get to start at the front of the cross-country ski race, and the first racer to cross the finish line wins.

Enjoy watching, Collegiettes™!

I learned about the Olympic events here, check it out!

Photo Source: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Allie Bush

U Mass Amherst

Senior Communication Major at UMass Amherst
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst