This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Life always works out. Everything always falls into place. No matter what you decide to do, you’re going to end up exactly where you need to be. Sometimes shitty things happen in life but as time passes you look back and realize it taught you a lesson that you needed to learn. Let me give you some examples from my life. 

Learning my worth:

In high school I held on to this guy for the longest time who so clearly did not care about me. I begged and pleaded and prayed, but it didn’t work out. For so long I was broken over the situation and then one day I realized something. I had to keep going back and getting my heart broken in order to learn my worth. I put up with so much disrespect and pain, but now I would never let anyone treat me that way and know the warning signs for someone with ill intentions. 

Good People Exist:

Recently I was seeing this guy and things were going really well, but there were some hiccups and we decided to remain just friends. This time was very different from any other experience I’ve had with a guy because there was no one to blame. Neither of us did anything wrong and we both still cared about each other immensely. It was so hard to see why this time it didn’t work out. Everything was going so well that I never thought it would fall apart. It hurt a lot in the beginning but now I am so appreciative of it all because it showed me that someone could care about me in that way. That it was possible for someone to like all the loud, weird, and extreme parts of me. He showed me that there are good people out there that will love all of me and not just bits and pieces and raised my standards.

Unexpected outcome:

When moving into college, I was so bummed to find out I’d be living in Orchard Hill. Now don’t get me wrong, it is not a terrible place in the slightest, but my dreams of living in Southwest and not trekking a gigantic hill every day had definitely been crushed. I cried and sobbed and whined because I didn’t think I’d get the college experience I wanted. However, the first week of living in those dorms I met my best friends. I met people who have made me feel so wanted and loved everyday since. I realized that I was supposed to be there because I was supposed to meet them. What I thought was going to be a catastrophe turned out to be one of the best things that could ever happen to me.

In Conclusion

Moral of the story is sometimes life doesn’t go the way we want it to, but that doesn’t mean that what’s happening is a bad thing. My mantra in life is to see the good, so much so I have it tattooed on my left arm. Everyday I am reminded that while there are bad things in the world there is also so much good and that the good can be found even in the bad.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Danica Shores

U Mass Amherst '24

Danica Shores is from the small town of Sandwich, Massachusetts located on Cape Cod. She has grown up with a loving mother, 3 siblings, many cats, two turtles, and a bird. Her interests include yoga, self-care, poetry, and taking long walks. Currently, Danica is studying as a psychology major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Her interests revolve around medical social work and providing therapeutic practices for young-adult women.