An Letter to Those Thinking of Coming to UMass Amherst

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Dear (Potential) Future UMass Student,

You might be in your senior year of high school or unhappy at your current university, but either way, you are contemplating coming to the University of Massachusetts Amherst. The fact that you are even considering coming to this amazing school mean you are highly intelligent. From a current UMass sophomore, I can say with absolute confidence, coming to UMass was the best decision of my life thus far. I’m sure other students can confirm this, but there are some things you should know about UMass: both good and bad.

First off, the food is incredible, but with that comes great responsibility. The “freshman 15” or “transfer ten” can become very real. UMass tempts us with a wide variety of food that is prepared fresh. On top of that, they know we love our greasy and sweet snacks and offer us Late Night, full of treats like mozzarella sticks, chicken fingers and cookie dough sundaes.

Unlike other school, food is always available. Our dining halls don’t close during the day and some stay open until midnight. UMass even has fun activities centered their fantastic food–like cook outs before football games and lobster and steak dinner on Halloween. Even the pickiest of eaters will not have trouble here!

It gets bitterly cold in the winter. This campus was designed in an odd way that basically creates a giant wind tunnel. So, in the winter, walking by the library feels like you are walking through Antarctica. It’s hard to avoid, but pro tip number one? Don’t use an umbrella while walking anywhere near it. Said umbrella will get flipped inside out or fly out of your hand. Invest in some warm clothes, because out here in Western Mass, you will need it. 

Branch out – there are so many people to meet. In high school, you might have had a label or set group of friends, but when you come to UMass, you could have a new identity every week. Finding a new hobby isn’t difficult since there are groups and clubs galore. We have everything from Ultimate Frisbee to juggling to table tennis. 

Our academics rock! People might look at UMass and think, “It’s just a state school,” but UMass Amherst is more than just a normal state school. We pride ourselves in having a rigorous admissions process, accepting only the best. We offer over one hundred majors and if that’s not enough you can build your own major. Everyone gets scared they will be stuck in huge lectures. That will happen freshman year with the classes that everyone has to take, but as you get into more major-focused classes, they will have fewer students. All the professors are more than happy to meet with you too, so even if you are in a large lecture, you can connect with them.

All your friends will want to come visit. UMass Amherst is said to be a party school.” In reality, we just have way more students, so it seems like there is much more partying. Anyway, all your high school friends will want to come visit for a weekend. Tread lightly. Although, having your friends come visit you is fun, you don’t want to be responsible for another person every weekend.

Don’t listen to those who say that there’s nothing to do in Western Mass. There are the cutest and yummiest restaurants just a quick walk from campus. The bus can take you to a number of different stores including the Hampshire Mall, which has Target, a movie theater, a laser tag place, rollerblading, and an indoor go-cart stop. Another bus can take you to Northampton, an awesome little city filled with shops and restaurants. Other points of interest include Puffers Pond, the numerous hiking spots, Yankee Candle, and The Big E. There will always be something to do on campus or with a short bus ride.

This school will become your home. We might not have the newest dorms (unless you’re lucky and get in the honors dorms), and we might have some buildings desperately in need of a renovation, but you will love this place. You will quickly learn this campus is beautiful and you will find hidden treasure throughout. UMass is an exciting and extremely accepting school.

My last piece of advice for all you is not to let the size of the school intimidate you. Walking to class isn’t that bad and if you really can’t handle it, we have free buses. You can make a big school feel small. UMass is a big ol’ crazy family.. So whether you choose UMass Amherst or not, just remember, Go Minutemen!

Photos: 123456

An accounting major at the Univeristy of Massachusetts Amherst, Isenberg School of Management who loves mac n' cheese, dancing, and making people smile.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst