This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Dear New Transfer Students,

Whether you hated your last school, or it was too far from home, or whatever your reasoning may be, somehow you’ve ended up at UMass Amherst for your undergraduate experience. With over 22,000 students packed into this small, rural area students like to refer to as “The Zoo” transfer students can feel a little overwhelmed at times.

After a year at a small, mainly commuter school, I decided to make the switch to UMass after visiting a few friends here and realizing that this is what college is suppose to feel like. Transferring here has been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made, but even though I was so excited to come here, I was also confused, overwhelmed and terrified my first few weeks. Being a transfer is a unique position to be in during college; you’ve already done the “wide-eyed, confused freshman” thing, but you are also new and naïve to campus. Here are some tips to make your transition to UMass smoother!

First of all, go to class (even if the professor doesn’t take attendance). Yes, I sound like your parents, but believe me you’ll be happy you went to class when you get your first semester’s grades. I came from a mainly commuter school, so I still lived at home and my parents were the ones telling me to go to class everyday. At UMass, you don’t have that, and if you don’t go to class it’s going to show in your grades. Sure, it’s tempting when you’re all snuggled up in bed and your lecture hall is all the way across campus on a rainy day to skip your lecture, but if you’ve only been to a handful of classes it’s going to show in your grades.

Secondly, get involved. Whether you decide to try out for a sports team/club, volunteer your time with one of the many philanthropic organization on campus, or go through sorority recruitment, getting involved on campus is the best decision a transfer student can make. Not only will you make tons of new friends, but you’ll also make tons of great memories doing something you love. Not to mention the resume potential. There are over 200 RSOs (registered student organizations) on campus, check them out and see where you could end up!

Next, try new things. Freshmen get a check off list of “The 50 Things You Should Do Before You Graduate,” and as cliché as it may seem, go out and do some of the things on the list. Whatever your reason was for transferring from your last school, you need to make the best of your time here and really experience UMass. So grab some of your new friends and check off some of the things on the list! You’ll love the “try a unique pizza topping at Antonio’s.”

Lastly, keep an open mind. Even if you loved UMass when you applied, you’re still going to have homesick moments or moments when you think you hate it here. Speaking as a fellow transfer student, try to have an open mind when you start thinking like this. No matter what school you’re at it’s never going to be 100% perfect. Life just doesn’t work like that. What you have to do is make the best of your situation and focus on the positives. Luckily, UMass has a lot of them!

So remember Transfer Students, try and make the most of your time here at UMass. As the legendary Tom Petty once said, “You have four years to be irresponsible here. Relax.” Enjoy yourself Collegiettes!

Maggie Norton

U Mass Amherst

University of Massachusetts Chi Omega and Contributing Writer at HerCampus!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst