This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The heartbreaking news of Ruth Bader Ginsburg passing away on September 18th due to complications from pancreatic cancer shocked the nation. In her 87 years, RBG made a mark on feminism and law. She was a fighter for equality and paved the way for women in our nation today. RBG gave women rights that we often take for granted every day, such as women having financial independence and employers not being able to discriminate on the basis of gender. She was one of nine women in her Harvard law class and the second woman to serve on the Supreme Court. Myself and many other young women look up to RBG, and we can only hope her spot will be replaced by someone who can continue her legacy. 

Ruth Bader Ginsburg Smiling
Photo by Wake Forest University School of Law distributed under a CC BY-NC-ND 2.0 license

I have looked up to and admired RBG for years for her fierce passion for everything she pursued in her life. As we mourn the loss of an icon many have been struck with feelings of fear and anger for what lies ahead for the future of women in America. President Donald Trump has nominated Amy Coney Barrett for the Supreme Court just days after the passing of RBG. RBG’s final wish was that her spot not be replaced until a new president is elected in November, but Trump has vowed to not honor her wish. Many women including myself are concerned about what will happen with our reproductive rights and access to birth control with this news. 

Unsplash

With less than 40 days until the election, Trump’s decision is causing major turmoil. Trump’s nominee Amy Coney Barret, has been seen by some as the opposite of RBG. While RBG held strong liberal views, Barrett is a conservative who could switch the Supreme Court to a conservative majority. Barret has taken opposite stances on topics such as same-sex marriage, abortions, and immigration. Barret has consistently voiced her disapproval of Roe vs. Wade, the case that established a women’s legal right to an abortion. RBG was a fierce advocate for the pro-choice movement. Barret is a devout Catholic who believes that marriage should be between a man and woman, while RBG voted for the legalization of same-sex marriage in 2015. Right now more than ever we must make our voices heard, and honor the legacy of RBG. As young women, we cannot let her efforts go to waste, but go forward and continue the fight for equality and justice for all. We must vote this November to fight for a better future.

Original Illustration Created in Canva for Her Campus Media

Julia Brown

U Mass Amherst '23

Julia Brown is currently a sophomore at UMass Amherst studying nutrition and public health. She loves hanging with friends and finding cute coffee shops in her free time. Feel free to follow her on instagram @juliabrown15
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst