The Last Lecture: A Motivational YouTube Video

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As Collegiettes we have sat through countless lectures. Some days, we seem to spend more time on Pinterest, Facebook, or even Her Campus trying to pass time during a not so interesting lecture. I’m sure you and your friends have surfed the web for funny and entertaining videos in your down time as well.

Here’s a motivational YouTube video that’s a must-see and a perfect pick me up for whatever mood you are in. You can also buy The Last Lecture in book form so you can re-read it as many times as you want, and it makes a perfect read for spring break!

Randy Pausch was a professor at Carnegie Mellon University, where he also attended college. He recorded an inspirational last lecture so his family, students, and anyone else would be able to watch countless times, so he can have his memory and dreams live on. He basically discusses important events in his fulfilling life and how he ultimately got to where he was currently. Randy shares with us his beliefs and aspirations, you can’t help but get captivated by his whole lecture. Randy was stricken with cancer and was about to pass away. So, his last lecture was recorded and is still watched today, long after he had passed. He is such a positive man with such insight, even in the darkest of times. This best-selling book and Internet sensation has gotten millions of views and something everyone should watch at some point in their life.

Although the lecture is a bit lengthy, setting aside an hour will be well worth your time. He is an incredible motivational speaker and shares quite a bit of knowledge. It’s always great to hear some words of wisdom, especially from such an inspirational man. Many times we forget the important and little things in life. It’s also great to take a second and think how our actions can sometimes be greater than what we say to others. Randy reminds us of the importance of dreaming so we can make a difference in the world. He brought up the idea that, “Brick walls are there for a reason, they show you how badly you want something.” This is definitely something to keep in mind in everything you do.

So Collegiettes, check out this must-see motivational YouTube video:

You can also purchase the book for your collection at the many stores in the Amherst area. Stay Happy and motivated Collegiettes!

Elana Jacobson

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst