This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

We all know who they are. The Kardashian/Jenner family seems to be all we talk about these days, which yes, is extremely sad. From this family came a young girl with small lips and comparably lesser hips. Then one day, we blinked and there was someone who was barely even recognizable anymore. Suddenly, there was this new Kylie Jenner. The youngest of the Kardashian/Jenner crew no longer looked like she was the youngest, or acted like she was.

To say Kylie Jenner has stirred things up in the news as of late would be an understatement. Love her or hate her, Hollywood’s “it” girl isn’t going anywhere anytime soon (except maybe to the Cartier store)

Kylie Jenner is an 18-year-old girl with 53 million Instagram followers, a lipstick, clothing and nail polish line, 4 cars, a $2.7 million house, 2 adorable dogs, a $5 million dollars net worth and a whole lot of haters. 

From her clothes, or lack there of, to her inflated lips to her controversial Snapchats, everything the younger Jenner sibling does becomes subject to never-ending hatred.

I’ll be completely honest before this article becomes oddly reminiscent of the “Leave Brittney Alone” YouTube video; I do understand the negative commentary and thoughts towards her…to some extent. I think she has made mistakes and is over-sexualizing herself too much at such a young age. That being said, it’s honestly none of my business. Kylie Jenner’s life is Kylie Jenner’s life. Regardless of the choices she has made I think it’s time we cut the infamous teenage girl some slack.

Let’s begin by addressing the issue of if you don’t like her… don’t follow her, don’t watch her, don’t buy her products and don’t hate on her every chance you get because not only are you making yourself more miserable, but you are just simply adding to her fame. You talking s*** is essentially making her more money, which I can assume is the opposite of your intent. We learned this as young children, if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. Why waste your time on her if you really hate her that much? Just give it a rest.

Since 2007, Kylie has been in the public eye as the youngest in the show Keeping up with the Kardashians. You reading this, think about how much you have changed and all the mistakes you’ve made since 2007. A lot, right? Now, imagine all of that being aired for the entire world to see and judge you for. I agree that she is not the best person for younger girls to look up to, but she’s also 18 and was thrown into the spotlight at a young age. She makes mistakes just like every other teenage girl, the only difference is her name and the fame that comes along with that. She has grown up in the public eye, do you blame her for growing up a bit too fast?

There have been tabloid headlines and articles published saying Kylie is the worst celebrity, she’s worthless, and other pieces filled with hatred along those lines. She’s 18 years old and people she doesn’t know are calling her worthless. We want to talk about being good role models? What makes the person hiding behind their computer screen bashing a young girl a good person? As if Kylie hasn’t already grown up with a warped view of reality, let’s add people all around the world telling here she’s “the worst part of 2015.” News flash: that’s not helping. In a recent interview with Interview Magazine, Kylie dives a bit deeper into how fame has changed her, “I’m just trying to not lose myself through this process, because I feel like I’ve already lost parts of me, like, my youth.”

I’m not saying she’s perfect (or that I know her personally at all) and I’m sure she wouldn’t admit to that either, but who are we to judge this girl for growing up. Don’t follow her example or try to be just like her, but realize that constantly trying to tear her down, isn’t doing either parties any good. Kylie Jenner is one single human being on this earth, why are we so focused on every single thing she does? It’s not worth our time. Kylie Jenner is a small matter in the big scheme of things. Let her live her life and you live yours. 

Photos: Cover, 1, 23, 4

Currently a hard-working, self-motivated, dominos-loving business student at UMass Amherst. Not only am I an avid reader of HerCampus.com but I am also a proud member of both Her Campus UMass Amherst and Her Campus Blogger Network. I am working towards my goal of moving out west and getting into marketing for the beauty and fashion industry.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst