you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

It’s Time to Start Listening to Audiobooks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As college students, we are always multitasking.  Whether it’s watching Netflix while we are on the elliptical, listening to podcasts as we walk to class, or streaming Spotify while we do homework – we are constantly consuming media while we are busy doing other things. There seems to be a form of media that we are completely forgetting about: audiobooks.  They are as easy to listen to as podcasts or music, so why aren’t they more popular?

The truth is, most of us have been trained to HATE reading.  All throughout school we have been forced to read books that we didn’t choose, and were tested on random aspects. Assigned reading has always come with a certain amount of pressure that made it unenjoyable, but I recently decided that I should start reading more of things that actually interest me. 

Audiobooks are not only easy to listen to, but they can teach you about almost anything. There’s a nearly endless amount to choose from, so you can find one for really any topic you want. Most of the ones I have been listening to recently have been self-help books, because they all offer different techniques on how to succeed in life, and always leave me feeling inspired.  

These are 3 of my favorite that will have you hooked on audiobooks:

You Are a Badass – Jen Sincero

This audiobook is narrated by the author Jen Sincero, who hilariously describes her own journey to success and self-love.  This book is refreshing because she mentions how she had been skeptical of self-help books and methods before pursuing it as her career. Sincero’s audiobook encourages listeners to accept what it is you cannot change, and to change whatever you do not love about your life. 

The Little Book of Lykke – Meik Wiking

This uplifting audiobook focuses on the study of happiness, and describes many of the secrets of how Danish people live so happily. A few of the insights Wiking mentions in this roadmap to happiness includes the importance of community, and how helping others can really help yourself as well. When I finished this audiobook, I had a whole new perspective on happiness that has definitely made me find it more often. 

Always Eat Left Handed – Rohit Bhargava

This quick audiobook (less than 3 hours long!) takes a unique approach to getting ahead in your career as well as your life.  Bhargava offers surprising pieces of advice – such as acquiring useless knowledge and having integrity when no one else is around – to help you stand out. This audiobook is entertaining as well as helpful, and gives great advice for excelling at your job and in life!

If you can’t remember the last book you read, or are in need of inspiration – audiobooks are definitely the way to go! There are so many to choose from, and you can listen to them pretty much anywhere. The best part about them is that they will leave you feeling motivated and anxiety-free, and all you have to do is listen.

Images: 1, 2, 3

Shannon FitzGerald

U Mass Amherst '20

Shannon is a junior honors student at UMass Amherst studying Communication and Economics. Although she wishes she could be traveling all the time, she is usually found hanging out with her friends, binge watching shows on Netflix, and shopping wherever she can get the best deal!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst