ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

It’s Never Too Late to Make a Great Class Schedule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The struggle of picking classes on Spire seems to never end, even after your schedule is created. Some may say “the struggle is real.

I’ve encountered multiple struggle bus scenarios during my three years of using Spire and will help you get through it!

What if your classes were closed by the time of your enrollment appointment because they were full? Hopefully you got on the waitlist, but if there wasn’t one, keep an eye on the class! People rearrange their schedules all the time, adding and dropping courses, and it is likely the class will be open again. You can also email the Professor or go to his or her office hours to ask to be added to the class. Sometimes they don’t mind extra students, but don’t be discouraged if they say no due to classroom space or workload restrictions.

If it is closed, enroll in another class that you would be willing to take so if you do have to keep it, you won’t be unhappy, but if you drop it, you won’t have to be too upset either.

For the future, ask one of your friends who has an earlier enrollment appointment if they can save the spot for you! If there isn’t a waitlist, your friend can un-enroll and you enroll right after. Since you do it within seconds, it works flawlessly to secure the seat.

Another situation is that you enroll in a class and then it is canceled over the summer. Don’t stress if you have to scramble to add another class even if you have to rearrange your schedule. It will work out!

You want to enroll in a class with restrictions and Spire won’t let you! Just email the professor asking if you can be allowed in the class. Either the professor or someone in the department will need to override you.

Take advantage of add/drop during the first two weeks of the semester and make yourself known to your professors. Feel free to go to a lecture you’re trying to get into even if you aren’t enrolled so if you do get in, you don’t fall behind and so the teacher knows you are dedicated when you ask to be added. That might increase your chances of getting in.

Don’t let an incomplete schedule bother you over the summer, but make sure you keep an eye on it to make sure everything was the same as when you enrolled, or for ways you can make it better.

When putting my schedule together, I use Google Calendar to visualize my class schedule because Spire can be hard to use. With this, I can easily see what classes are when, color-code them, and easily switch around my schedule if need be. I can even add my work and gym hours to this weekly calendar.

Every semester, I have encountered unfortunate circumstances in relation to Spire, but every semester my schedule always works out. Don’t fret, Collegiettes!

Karen Podorefsky

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst