7 Ways to Make Your UMass Dorm Room Cozy This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

UMass Amherst is the picture-perfect place when it comes to fall: crisp mornings, leaves changing colors, warm afternoons and a bit of chill in the air at night. It’s the best season to wear your cute booties and stylish cardigans, and you’re always ready for the apple picking photo shoot with friends. Why not have your room reflect your favorite season of the year, too?

Here are a few of my own favorite updates that will make your fall even cozier right in the comfort of your own dorm room!

1. Throw Pillows

When you walk into your bedroom, the first thing you likely notice is your bed. How could you not? It’s pretty much the centerpiece. Comforters are obviously essential, but throw pillows are the icing on the cake. When you add throw pillows to your basic comforter set they update your style in a way that feels plush and extravagant. Nothing feels better than finally coming home after a long day of classes and jumping into bed. When it comes to these, the more the merrier: extra throw pillows will make your bed chic and snug. 

Time to get lost in your pillows and cozy up to your favorite show on Netflix. (Or share the love. Throw pillows are also handy when you have friends over that need a place to sit with some bonus cushioning.) Functional and comfy — how can you resist?

Check out Urban Outfitter’s fun selection of pillows and throws.

2. Statement Rugs

While some dorm rooms at UMass have wall-to-wall carpeting, many do not. A rug of any size can create a sense of warmth in the fall and winter. Tile can get cold, and sometimes you just don’t want to wear shoes in your own space. A rug ties the room together while keeping those toes warm in the chillier seasons. It’s also functional for extra seating, not to mention it’ll allow you to literally feel snug as a bug in a rug.

My personal favorite? Shaggy rugs. They’re perfect for creating the feeling you — and maybe your roommate — are trying to evoke in your room. Even if you have carpeting that came with the room, a shaggy rug placed strategically over it will give you that homey look that your wall-to-wall UMass-supplied rug cannot. 

IKEA has a ton of adorable options that won’t break the bank.

3. Standing Lights

Collegiettes, let’s face it: overhead fluorescent lighting is rough. There’s absolutely nothing warm or pleasant about them. A quick and affordable update that I recommend is a standing light fixture. They fill your room with a soft bubble of light that isn’t reminiscent of a fluorescent-lit classroom. (Just make sure it’s not a halogen light and you’re good to go!) This fix is a game changer: the lighting is much better for your selfie game and your sanity, not to mention it adds an intimate feeling that an overhead light will never be able to produce.

A must when it comes to updating your room to capture that cozy fall feeling, we recommend taking a peek at Amazon’s range of choices.

4. Aroma Diffusers

Candles are off limits when it comes to dorm room decor, but this bad boy isn’t! Aroma diffusers are the latest trend when it comes to making your room smell good and they’re simple: they’re just humidifiers with essential oil droplets. Use your favorite essential oil scent to get your room smelling heavenly — and be prepared to receive compliments left and right! 

Bed Bath & Beyond has some listed on their site, but you can also check them out brick-and-mortar on Route 9 in Hadley.

5. Throw Blankets

This may seem like a basic, but that’s because they’re so important. Throw blankets are great for curling up when you want to be nestled under a blanket but aren’t quite ready for bed. They’re also perfect for adding another layer of warmth when you’re falling asleep. A throw blanket is never a wasted investment, and no matter which way you decide to use it, it’s essential for feeling your best fall cozy!

Overstock is the place for an inexpensive throw, but beware if you don’t like having too many options!

6. Pictures

Feeling a little homesick? Photos are a perfect way to show that you miss your friends and family from home, but are also a friendly reminder that you’ll see them soon on Thanksgiving break! This fall, add your own pictures after doing fall activities, like apple picking or nature walks with your UMass friends. Create new memories and add them to your photo strings or corkboard!

When you surround yourself with photos of the people with whom you’ve made the most special memories, it makes it a little harder to be homesick. 

7. Tapestries

This is another “basic girl” dorm piece, but it really can take any room with drab-colored walls and provide a sense of warmth. Bring fall into your room with earthy greens, dark purples, and vibrant oranges to illuminate the season, or pick one with your own favorite colors! Hanging a tapestry is an easy way to create your own personal sanctuary. 

Take a look at Etsy’s unique selection to start your hunt.

All images are courtesy of the lovely Gretchen Keller. You can find her work on Instagram @gretchenkellerphotography.

Annie Norton

U Mass Amherst '21

A current sophomore at UMass Amherst who enjoys rom-coms, late night at Berk, and reading a book in her hammock. Follow her on instagram to get to know her even better @annienort0n
Elizabeth Beanland

U Mass Amherst '18

Elizabeth is the editor-in-chief of Her Campus UMass Amherst. She is a journalism major with a French minor. Her passions include writing and editing, sustainability, style, living plant-based, and shopping vintage. Location-wise, she is partial to cities and anywhere on the West Coast. You can follow her Instagram @Bean._