It Isn’t Fall Without Them: My “Spooky Szn” Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As the leaves turn color, the weather gets cooler, and the seasons inevitably change, I can’t help but get swept up by all the “spooky szn” galore. There are a few things that are must-do’s each year to get me in the mood and really make it feel like it’s fall.

Apple picking

Sounds pretty standard, but for me, apple picking in my home state of Vermont at Hackett’s Orchard, where I went every year growing up, is my #1 spooky szn/fall essential. Now, the tractor ride out to pick-your-own isn’t necessary, but the cider donuts at the end definitely are. 

Hocus pocus

This is more my boyfriend’s essential that I turned into mine. A movie night featuring “Hocus Pocus” is a non-negotiable. You already know we watched it when I went home for the long weekend. 

Pumpkin carving

My roommates have some pumpkin patch plans up their sleeves for this weekend. I can’t say I’ve ever been to a pumpkin patch (shocker, I know) but I’m certainly all for pumpkins, jack-o-lanterns, and good, old-fashioned #roommatebonding.

halloween cards

My grandmother’s favorite holiday was Halloween. Every year she would plan her costume, call the whole family to tell them, and send Halloween cards which always arrived before October even began. Since she died in March, I’m carrying on her tradition this year, armed with a stack of stationery. However, if you know me, I’m hardly early to anything, so these did not arrive in September. 

Decorations

My decoration game is struggling while living on campus. At home, my mom has a huge box for the season, including a life-size skeleton to hang on the front door. This year, my decorations consist of Trader Joe’s pumpkins, ghost window decals, and a few fake spiders. Nevertheless, having a spooky space really puts me in a spooky mood.

Trick-or-treating

It may sound basic, but I’m serious. My favorite part of Halloween is Halloween night itself, particularly when I was living at home in a neighborhood with lots of young kids. Handing out candy to the neighborhood kids, most of which I knew, was a highlight. Throw on a spooky movie and a simple costume (my personal favorite is a witch hat) and you’ve got yourself a night. 

As I move into this new chapter of my life, I’m working through creating new traditions with new people. Even so, I’ll hold on to my spooky szn essentials. Even if I can’t go to Hackett’s every year, I’m definitely going apple picking and eating several cider donuts. Let me know your spooky szn essentials (I’m always looking for recs) and I hope you found some inspo in this. Now, please enjoy my dog, Pepper, looking very autumnal and spooky. 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

dog stretching on red porch covered with leaves
Original photo by Abigail Grimm
Abigail Grimm

U Mass Amherst '24

Abby, Events Director of HC UMass Amherst, is a current junior honors student studying public health and health policy. Besides HerCampus, she spends time exercising, outside on her bike or with her dogs (especially in her home state, Vermont), playing music, and drinking absurd amounts of coffee. Find her on instagram at https://www.instagram.com/abby_324/