kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

Inexpensive Makeup Products for a Natural Summer Look

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Summer means less makeup for a lot of people since the sunshine helps provide a natural tan and bronzed look. Because of this, my go-to look is light-weight, bright, and glowy. If you watch Youtube makeup tutorials, you’ll see that most of the makeup artists use really expensive makeup products, so it’s hard to replicate their look. I’ve found inexpensive drugstore makeup products that you need in your everyday makeup routine!

For foundation or face coverage, I would recommend a tinted moisturizer or BB cream for a lightweight and easy application. Check out Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream 8-in-1 Skin Perfecter. It’s $8.99 and gives a great amount of coverage. You can apply this product with your fingertips, or a damp makeup sponge (the beautyblender works great if you have one). For concealer, any Maybelline or Covergirl concealer will do the trick, just make sure you get the right color for your skin tone. When in doubt, I would pick a shade lighter which will brighten up your face and make you look more awake.

Typically for bronzer in the summer I lean more towards warmer tones. The NYC Sunny Bronzer is $8.00 and you can find it at Target, Walmart, or Amazon. This product is a cheap dupe for the Benefit Hoola Bronzer that costs $29.00.

A tip for summer makeup is to stick to liquid products more than powders. First, it’s more hydrating, and second, it adds to the glowy look.

For blush, the Maybelline Dream Bouncy Blush is a cream blush that’s so easy to use. Just pat a little on your finger and blend onto your cheeks. It’s really blendable and the cream consistency makes your makeup look soft and natural. A little bit more of an expensive product, but still reasonable, is the Glossier Cloud Paint Seamless Cheek Color. It’s a cream blush as well but it looks natural and is easy to use. This product is $18.00

Eyebrow gel is a great way to keep a natural feathered eyebrow look. I would use the NYX Professional Makeup Control Freak Eyebrow Gel which is only $5.99!

For eyeshadow, stick to a cream eyeshadow or use bronze, golden colors. A trick would be to use your bronzer as eyeshadow. Use a blending brush with bronzer and blend it onto your eyelid and into your crease. You can use the NYX Sunny Bronzer or Glossier also has a Lidstar Duo Pack where you get two liquid eyeshadows for $30.00. Once again, it’s a little more expensive, being that each one is $15, but they work great for everyday natural looks due to their blendable formula.

A colored eyeliner on your bottom waterline is a fun look I love to do in the summertime. NYX has jumbo and skinny eyeliner pencils in funky colors that are affordable and really easy to apply. Waterproof mascara is the way to go in the summer because of the ocean, and it can get really hot! Maybelline Volum’ Express the Rocket Waterproof Mascara is my favorite and is only $6.99

Photos: 1,2,3

Madison Bethune

U Mass Amherst '21

Madison is a sophomore at Umass Amherst majoring in Nutrition and Journalism. Some of her interests include health and wellness, art and photography, and she loves going to the beach and spending time with friends. Feel free to follow her Instagram @maddybethune_
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst