India’s City of Destiny: Exploring My Hometown, Vizag

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Vizag (formally known as Visakhapatnam) is a coastal city in the state of Andhra Pradesh towards the south of India. The name Visakhapatnam, has been derived from Visakha, the Hindu God of Courage. As a born and raised “Vizagite,” I consider myself an unofficial tour guide of the beautiful city!

Why is Vizag called the City of Destiny?

The phrase was originally coined by the British, when they colonized the city in 1804. It was reclaimed in 1970 when Indira Gandhi (India’s Prime Minister at the time) opened the Vizag Steel Plant and named Vizag “The City of Destiny” during her time there. However, there are many aspects and elements to Vizag that make the popular phrase a fitting one.

The BEaches

Vizag is famous among tourists as well as residents for its serene beaches. The most popular and populous one is the Rama Krishna “RK” Beach, known for its beautiful views, delicious street food, and must-visit tourist attractions. Some of those attractions include the mobile underwater fish aquarium, the magnificent Goddess Kali Temple, and the historically significant INS Kurusura Submarine Museum. The ticket fee for these attractions is minimal, and the crowds are never too overwhelming, granting easy entry at any time of the day. The street food is my favorite part about going to the beach! The spicy puffed rice mixture and fried corn on the cob are Vizag specialties!

Nauset beach
Original photo by Katherine Santin

The Natural Attractions

Vizag has many mountains and parks adorned by historical relics. Some of the more popular ones include Thotlakonda, Kailasigiri, and Bavikonda which feature sculptures, meditation halls, and centuries-old structures enriched by Hindu and Buddhist cultures. There are also numerous hike-worthy locations! My favorite is the Vanjangi Hill Point. You can see a series of clouds floating endlessly below you that feels like something straight of a fantasy novel.

poke-o-moonshine
Original photo by Johanna Weeks

Big City Feels

We have mesmerizing beaches on one side and breathtaking mountain views on the other. In the middle, we have the hustle and bustle of busy city life! Vizag has streets called Jagadamba Center and Diamond Park for anyone that loves a thorough shopping spree! You also cannot miss out on the amazing food. With cuisines ranging from local to international, Vizag has them all! Restobars are trending hangout spots in Vizag. Enjoy dinner drinks at Somaa, Myz-Uno, Iron Hill, and many other places.

Destiny Awaits

One thing that Vizag locals know very well is that the world is a tiny place. Everyone knows everyone in this city, making you feel cozy and at home in whichever area you are in. I have met countless mutual friends and/or distant family, simply by chance! In fact, I met almost all of my closest friends through other contacts. In this city, you never feel like an outsider, and you can make life-long connections in the most unexpected of places!

I could go on and on about my endless love for Vizag, and how terribly I miss the city. But these are just a few aspects of this wonderful place that I get to call home. Vizag is truly the City of Destiny and I’m so proud of how far it has come over the years. Now you know your itinerary for when you come to visit!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Pooja Panuganti

U Mass Amherst '24

Pooja is a sophomore business major and YA romance books are her guilty pleasure!