Style > Beauty

If I Could Only Use Five Face Products for the Rest of my Life, These are the Ones I Would Choose

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

For most people, having a skincare routine is one of the most important aspects of their day. Whether it be simply washing your face with water and then moisturizing, or waking up and starting your 10-step routine, just getting into a routine can change the outlook you have on your day. Personally, there is nothing better than waking up in the morning, washing my face, and putting on my face products. By starting my day off with my facial cleanser, moisturizers, and serums, I feel refreshed and ready to take on the day.

CBA final acne?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Original Illustration by Neula Ha for Her Campus Media
Dr. Kiehl’s Clearly Corrective Dark Spot Corrector

This is my favorite product in my skincare routine! Dr. Kiehl’s Clearly Corrective Dark Spot Corrector is a goldmine for those who have dark spots and acne scars. I use this serum two times a day: once in the morning and then once at night before I go to sleep. I saw this product start to work its magic at the two-week mark. This serum is so light-weight that it absorbs within a minute and you don’t even know that you are wearing it. I have always struggled with acne scarring from flare-ups on my face and this product gave me back the confidence that I had previously lost. 

CeraVe Foaming facial cleanser

The CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser is a product that I use before I go to sleep each night. Before I use this product, I use a makeup wipe to take off any makeup that I wore during the day. It will take off any makeup that you are wearing, but I like to start my face routine with a completely naked face. This is a product that I have had in my routine since my sophomore year of high school, so around six years now. A pro of this product is that it works for both oily and dry, acne and non-acne-prone skin types. I personally have oily skin, and using this product reduces the oiliness without drying my face out.

Hero Pimple Patches

These are lifesavers!! For someone who tends to break out on my face every few weeks, being able to grab a few patches and put them on is so easy. After I finish my entire skincare routine, I put a patch on where I might have any pimples and wear them overnight. In the morning, I see that magic that they do! I highly recommend trying the Hero Mighty Patch Original pack for anyone who suffers from breakouts, specifically cystic acne flare-ups. For those who enjoy watching pimple-popping videos, taking off these patches is also very satisfying!

La Roche-Posay Ciciaplast Balm B5

The La Roche-Posay Ciciaplast Balm B5 is one of the newest additions to my skincare routine and I will never go back to not using it! I use this product on a daily basis and as the last step of my skincare routine at night. Instead of just rubbing the product all over my face, I use this cream to spot-treat my face. By this, I mean that I put tiny dots of the product just on the areas of my face that are breaking out or have scarring. I let the product sit like that for about 30 minutes before I rub it in all over my face. 

Cetaphil Daily facial cleanser

This product is one that I could never imagine not using again! The Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser has been a product that has also been in my skincare routine since my early years of high school. A huge plus for this product is that it is truly fragrance-free. There is nothing worse than putting on a strongly medicated scented face product and having to smell it for hours after you use it. This creates headaches in the future throughout your day. The product is overall very gentle and feels refreshing to use!

Being a full-time student in college, life can often get busy, overwhelming, and stressful. Having a definitive skincare routine allows for consistency in my busy life. Without having the skincare routine that I have currently, I would not have the confidence that I have today. 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Sydney Lamoureux

U Mass Amherst '24

Sydney is in her junior year at Umass Amherst. She is a double major in legal studies and psychology with a minor in history. She loves advocating for mental health among college students as well as finding cute cafes in New England :)