Working on laptop?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Working on laptop?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash

I Switched From a MacBook to an iPad Pro, Should You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

When I graduated high school in 2017, I upgraded my 2012 MacBook Pro to a 2017 MacBook. This summer I started my podcast and my MacBook was having a hard time handling the recording and editing process, so after doing a TON of research I decided to use the money I had been saving up to purchase the iPad Pro.

If You are an Artist… 

I chose the iPad Pro because I wanted to edit pictures and videos with as much precision as possible. Part of my decision was made because I knew I wanted to try digital art and editing with the Apple Pencil. If you are a digital or traditional artist, the iPad Pro coming with the touch screen is obviously the better choice. 

If You are a Student…

I also bought the iPad Pro to help me with school work. I hesitated years ago because I was not sure what programs I would need to use, but so far I have not needed to resort to using my laptop when doing school work. Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee this result for everyone. Also, if you like to write your notes by hand the iPad/iPad Pro is a great choice.

If You are a Writer…

I’m an occasional writer, and with the Magic Keyboard or any of the more affordable amazon options, I do not miss my laptop’s keyboard. You can also access most writing programs with the iPad! I do not not have a keyboard preference, but with the iPad it is even easier to buy keyboards that suit your style. 

If You are a Content Creator…

I would classify myself as a content creator, and since my laptop still had some life left in it, I wanted to buy something that had qualities my MacBook didn’t. With the touch screen I can create better visuals to go alongside my content. If you are missing this in your content creation game, I highly recommend making the switch, and there are many iPad accompanying apps to help with editing and designing. 

If You are Due for An Upgrade…

I did not think I would need to upgrade from my MacBook so soon, but I realized not too long ago that they do not even make my MacBook anymore. With that, I was probably going to be due for an upgrade soon, especially at the rate I use my technology. I would say if you have the option to try it out, you should, but if you are very comfortable with your current laptop or set up, stick with it. 

So, in conclusion, do what makes the most sense for your wallet. If you get the chance to upgrade your tech, you should. However, if your trusty laptop is still afloat, keep it. My one last tip would be to get an external hard drive so you can keep all your files safe. 

Chanel Keenan

U Mass Amherst '21

My name is Chanel! I hope you enjoy this collection of articles. 
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst